Folding bike bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Following my recent folding bike build I have the need for a bag to transport it in planes. I used a full sized padded bike bag when I flew to Spain but now I'm home and have more time, I have ordered a custom made bag for future use.
What I'd like, is to line the bag with a lightweight, flexible hard plastic (or somesuch), sheet that I can cut to size. I used hardboard as a stopgap this time but it isn't great and warps pretty quickly.
As light a material as poss, with decent strength. Any ideas?

20180529_165316-jpg.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Marine ply should do the job braced with 1/2 x1/2. Go as thin as poss with the ply to save weight.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've seen what I need in various commercial uses bit I don't know what it's made of or what outs called.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Purloin some estate agents' boards :smile:.
That's a good idea but the boards wouldn't be big enough. They are made from something called Correx. I used to use it for model aeroplanes. Its tough and light, made from polypropylene I think.
I did a bit of research and found this where a guy made a velomobile from it;
http://www.instructables.com/id/Facet-V1-Velomobile/
The main problem is gluing it but he found a solution contained in the article. You can buy 8x4 sheets of Correx.
Might be worth looking into further.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice idea if only they were a bit more solid!
Use Polycarbonate sheet then, I replaced the window panes in the Summerhouse (they were Greenhouse glass originally) 6yrs later they're still fine and are very tough. I can get it cut to size locally but that's in Leicester, try a few POS/Shopfitting firms around you to source some.

DSCN0179.JPG

these panes have stood a few 'whacks' from handlebar ends to em and cost about £30 for a dozen panes cut to size.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's useful stuff. I have lined a carradice saddle bag with an estate agent's board that was, ahem, no longer required.
You’re not alone....

Top Bottom