Folding bike bag

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by rich p, 6 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Following my recent folding bike build I have the need for a bag to transport it in planes. I used a full sized padded bike bag when I flew to Spain but now I'm home and have more time, I have ordered a custom made bag for future use.
    What I'd like, is to line the bag with a lightweight, flexible hard plastic (or somesuch), sheet that I can cut to size. I used hardboard as a stopgap this time but it isn't great and warps pretty quickly.
    As light a material as poss, with decent strength. Any ideas?

20180529_165316-jpg.jpg

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Marine ply should do the job braced with 1/2 x1/2. Go as thin as poss with the ply to save weight.

3. OP
    OP
    rich p

I've seen what I need in various commercial uses bit I don't know what it's made of or what outs called.

4. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Corrugated plastic or correx sheet, I think

raleighnut and User13710 like this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

That's a good idea but the boards wouldn't be big enough. They are made from something called Correx. I used to use it for model aeroplanes. Its tough and light, made from polypropylene I think.
    I did a bit of research and found this where a guy made a velomobile from it;
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Facet-V1-Velomobile/
    The main problem is gluing it but he found a solution contained in the article. You can buy 8x4 sheets of Correx.
    Might be worth looking into further.

6. OP
    OP
    rich p

Nice idea if only they were a bit more solid!

7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

You would need to brace it but how I don't know.

May be possible to put carbon fibre rods down the channels

8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Use Polycarbonate sheet then, I replaced the window panes in the Summerhouse (they were Greenhouse glass originally) 6yrs later they're still fine and are very tough. I can get it cut to size locally but that's in Leicester, try a few POS/Shopfitting firms around you to source some.

DSCN0179.JPG

these panes have stood a few 'whacks' from handlebar ends to em and cost about £30 for a dozen panes cut to size.

rich p likes this.
  9. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

You’re not alone....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice