Folding bike tyre shape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chickenlegs

I've just bought a brand new pair of Schwalbe tyres for my road bike and having put the first one on (before inflating it) I've noticed a lot of bumps where the tyre was folded whilst it was in the box. The bobbles disappear once inflated to the correct pressure. Having never used folding tyres before I thought I'd ask whether this is something to worry about?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 44

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Never caused me any problems when I used Schwalbe folding tyres, so I think you're fine. They're designed to fold and squash up without affecting them.

robgul

Legendary Member
It's perfectly normal - once inflated they will be fine.

Don't bank on it - I had a pair of Schwalbe tyres on my Dahon folder (20") and they had in effect a "high spot" on them that meant the bike rode a bit like a clown's bike with eccentric wheels - not much but enough to be noticeable and annoying. Took me a while to work out what was wrong with removing and refitting 3 or 4 times ... upside is that Avon Cyclery replaced them with a different, slightly more expensive tyre, at no extra cost.

Rob

lpretro1

Don't bank on it - I had a pair of Schwalbe tyres on my Dahon folder (20") and they had in effect a "high spot" on them that meant the bike rode a bit like a clown's bike with eccentric wheels - not much but enough to be noticeable and annoying. Took me a while to work out what was wrong with removing and refitting 3 or 4 times ... upside is that Avon Cyclery replaced them with a different, slightly more expensive tyre, at no extra cost.

Rob
We fit loads of folding tyres in our workshop and never had that problem - occasionally there will be a rogue one or two I guess :smile:

OP
OP
C

Chickenlegs

Thanks for the advice. I've changed both tyres and both seem to have inflated without much trouble so I'll just have to see when I take it out for a ride!

Cheers!

Top Bottom