Folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aspiringcyclist

Hello
I'm new here and a beginner. I think I may need a folding bike simply because of lack of storage in our house. I would use for leisure cycling with the family and going on paved cycle paths. I have fallen in love with the Dahon Briza D8 (silly, as we've never met in person) I like the style but also the wheels are bigger than most folding bikes which is important for me. Problem is nobody seems to stock them in the UK, a couple of online outlets in Europe -I'm really tempted but not sure if it's a good idea buying from a different country (please excuse my ignorance) because of warranty and returns etc
Does anyone have any experience with this bike or if you know where I can get hold of one? new or used I don't mind :smile:
Many thanks
Sham

alicat

Legendary Member
I personally wouldn't buy a folding bike that I hadn't tried out. The feel of a folding bike can be odd to start with and it's risky not to check you get on with the folding method.

I would discount this bike and look for one you can try out.

Do you really need a folding bike if you don't like small wheels. There is always room for bikes in a house if you try hard enough. I have managed to fit five in my porch, for example, although one is a folder.

OP
OP
A

Aspiringcyclist

Hi!
Thanks so much for your advice, deep down I know it's risky but the house is looking too cluttered and really don't want to store it anywhere rust prone. I know I'll be compromising on a lot of things but because I'm just starting out and haven't used many other bikes I'm hoping I won't have much to compare to if that makes sense? I have a pushchair with the most awful fold which I've put up with so I'm hoping this will be similar :smile: plus I think at this stage I'm more likely to use the bike if it's a folder and I don't want to fit a roof rack as this point

I'm hoping once I get into cycling properly I will get a proper bike and by then it won't matter if it's taking over the kitche n

Sorry I have totally disregarded your advice even though I know you're right :wub:

24" wheels are a bit rare but very useful.
Note that some dahons can fold into quite wide packages. They also do some flatpack systems to ensure a bike is as narrow as possible, really good for storing in corridors.
My Dahon has 26" wheels and is hardly ever folded. I only chose it because it had other non-foldy features that were hard to find all on one bike. Dahon are well made and ride well.

Bill

Why not look at the Dahon range via the internet? I have a Dahon Vitesse 8 speed and I think its great! With 20 inch wheels you can fit BMX rims with 36 spokes....tandem strength wheels. Its nice also to know you can get on a train with no need to book a space!

MarkF

Guru
I've had a few folders and I adapted to the 20" wheels very quickly and hardly noticed I was riding a folder. I wouldn't buy too cheap but I've bought a few Dahons (like new) around the £200 mark and I bought a Philips Broadwalk, mint, for £90, that is actually a Dahon too and they go on Ebay for way less than Dahon branded bikes.

Still have the Philips, very useful things are folders.

simongt

Guru
I could have guessed that someone would come up with that old chestnut.
I know where you're coming from Steve, but I've owned and ridden a Dahon folder, a Giant Halfway and now I have a Brompton. The Brompton is the streets ahead winner in my book,:thumbsup: but then of course, one man's bike etc., etc..

Top Bottom