Folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know where you're coming from Steve, but I've owned and ridden a Dahon folder, a Giant Halfway and now I have a Brompton. The Brompton is the streets ahead winner in my book,:thumbsup: but then of course, one man's bike etc., etc..

I am sure your right Simon. If I were to get a folder it would have to be a Brompton. But dont you just get fed up of hearing it :0)

simongt

Guru
Indeed. But when I see anyone on a folder, regardless of make or style, I just think that as long as the rider / owner is happy with their choice, then that is what really matters.:sun:

byegad

Legendary Member
We had 4 Dahons. Two Boardwalks bought in 1999 or 2000, a 2002 Speed-Pro and a 2004 Matrix-V. I sold a Boardwalk and we still have the others. No issues except one of Boardwalks lost the plastic security lock on the frame and Dahon sent me a replacement FOC. The Speed-Pro is a great ride with 24 gears and I used it turn and turn about with my Thorn Club Tour until I permanently gave up two wheels for three. Now my wife rides the Speed-Pro and the Boardwalk and my Daughter in Law rides the Matrix.

The ride on all of them is much surer than a Brompton IMHO while the fold on the 20" wheel bikes is not as good as the Brompton, that wasn't an issue as they were stored and sometimes transported in the car, folded but rarely folded on a day out. If I was popping on and off buses or carrying a folded bike into an office then I'd have bought a Brompton and put up with the rather sudden handling, rubbish brakes, although I believe they are improved on later models and limited gear range.

simongt

Guru
It all depends on what you're going to use a folder for. If it's easy folding, compactness and keeping the mucky bits on the inside of the fold, then the Brompton wins hands down. Yes, the handling is lively, but has improved since the wheelbase was increased by 3cm. a few years ago. Ritchie designed the Brompton from the outset as being part of a mixed transport solution which it does very well. It was never meant to be a 'real' bike or intended to compete with the 'big boys' for long distance travel, but there are those who have done the End to End on them and various lengthy tours, so whatever floats your boat - !

Top Bottom