Folding bikes on buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So when covered, is it recognisable as a bike?
Did you buy a special Birdy cover?

It was the big Birdy rucksack / bike cover all in 1 bag. to me it looked like a bike but I'm not the best one to judge & I've seen arty types with pirtfiolio cases the same size and bulge. I got on so I guess it wasn't considered that much of a deal.

jennywren

I'm considering a B&W International Folding Bike Bag from Amazon, designed with Brompton in mind. It is not too pricey and might just conceal the 'item'.

Keenbfb

The company I drive for in the North East will only let you take a bike on the bus if it's folded and can fit into the luggage area, of course as a driver you get to exercise a little common sense as well, eg a parent with a toddler holding a small child's bike would be allowed on the bus providing they put it in the luggage rack, but the adult with the mountain bike with the snapped seat post would be refused.

I used to do a run from Newcastle to Scarborough each day and would often have a passenger with a Brompton get on in Newcastle and cycle the 90 miles back from Scarborough always struck me as a hard thing to do...

jennywren

The company I drive for in the North East will only let you take a bike on the bus if it's folded and can fit into the luggage area, of course as a driver you get to exercise a little common sense as well, eg a parent with a toddler holding a small child's bike would be allowed on the bus providing they put it in the luggage rack, but the adult with the mountain bike with the snapped seat post would be refused.

I used to do a run from Newcastle to Scarborough each day and would often have a passenger with a Brompton get on in Newcastle and cycle the 90 miles back from Scarborough always struck me as a hard thing to do...

Sounds like a lot of sense to me.
The bus I like to take is called a Coasthopper and it is single deck narrower than most type bus, with v limited luggage, suitable for getting round some country lanes. That is why the company is saying no to my bike. It's a fabulous route though, with stunning views over the sea.
Newcastle to Scarborough on a Brompton!!!
I did the C2C on my Bike Friday east to west as far as Penrith. Loved it.

Anyone faced with the 'disguise it like its not a bike' problem, use one of these:

this-bag-contains-a-gun-a-bomb-a-very-large-knife-and-loads-of-drugs-wait-and-see1.png

normal__toxic_waste_laundry_bag.jpg

$(KGrHqVHJCUE9rPVHmYNBPdZrKcsdw~~60_35.JPG

Results not guaranteed to please (the drivers!)^_^

Attachments

• normal__toxic_waste_laundry_bag.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 39
  • $(KGrHqVHJCUE9rPVHmYNBPdZrKcsdw~~60_35.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 36

jennywren

Anyone faced with the 'disguise it like its not a bike' problem, use one of these:

this-bag-contains-a-gun-a-bomb-a-very-large-knife-and-loads-of-drugs-wait-and-see1.png

Results not guaranteed to please (the drivers!)^_^

the top one is my favourite!!

Attachments

• normal__toxic_waste_laundry_bag.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 31
  • $(KGrHqVHJCUE9rPVHmYNBPdZrKcsdw~~60_35.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 33

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Only done it twice (once after a puncture in the rear wheel too large for gunk to seal, once after a faulty tyre gave way) and no problem either time, uncovered.

jennywren

Try taking it through an airport.

lol!

Top Bottom