Folding Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Rubbish.

Folding has been the way to go for 20 years. Been using Michelin's folding tyres since the year dot - never had a wired tyre on the best bike in 20 years.
What part of the post are you reffering to as rubbish, or just all of it ?

Rob500

Much of a muchness between the two but historically I think the folders tend to puncture more (that's down to tyre cheapness though I reckon).

Hope you are wrong on that Garz. :sad:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- are you saying the folding version of a particular tyre (for example Conti Gatorskin) is more likely to puncture than the non-folding? I can't understand why this might be the case? Also the folding version of a tyre tends to be more expensive than the non-folding.

Rubbish.

Folding has been the way to go for 20 years. Been using Michelin's folding tyres since the year dot - never had a wired tyre on the best bike in 20 years.

What's rubbish - my reply or Garz's post? I am confused by your reaction.
I was querying Garz's assertion that folding tyres puncture more easily, and are cheaper.

Personally I prefer and use folding tyres - as I hope my previous posts on this topic will have made clear.

Garz

Squat Member
I was querying Garz's assertion that folding tyres puncture more easily, and are cheaper.

I said the folders I purchased are cheap versions (i.e. not gatorskins) which may have been why they punctured. The gatorskins that came with my n+1 are still going after 3k miles, but whose to say x is better than y as it could be down to luck that you ride over something anyway..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I said the folders I purchased are cheap versions (i.e. not gatorskins) which may have been why they punctured. The gatorskins that came with my n+1 are still going after 3k miles, but whose to say x is better than y as it could be down to luck that you ride over something anyway..
Fair enough - all clear now! Basically you're saying that cheaper tyres may puncture more easily. Folding or non-folding. Full stop.

Garz

Squat Member
Fair enough - all clear now! Basically you're saying that cheaper tyres may puncture more easily. Folding or non-folding. Full stop.

Yes sir. I received a snake-bite puncture on my gatorskins today, tyre check out OK. Inner tube binned.

I remember a michelin folder (Lithion or something) I used took three punctures in just over one week, hadn't seen too many miles which is why I didn't appreciate folders at first.

Garz

Squat Member
Most cyclists don't realise that a sprinkling of talc acts as a dry lubricant and makes fitting a tight tyre a breeze. Shhhhh.... let them struggle on in ignorance.

Obviously not in the rain! ;)

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
Been using folding tyres for awhile now. No trouble taking them on and off, a doddle!
Don't have to use levers to put them back on the rim, just use my thumbs!
Most shops only seem to stock folding tyres now anyway.

Top Bottom