Folding Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
They are a little tighter to fit the first time you put them on the wheel but the use of tyre levers solves the problem. If, after using them on the road, you do have to take them off to replace or repair a tube then they are just as easy as any other tyre to handle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Most cyclists don't realise that a sprinkling of talc acts as a dry lubricant and makes fitting a tight tyre a breeze. Shhhhh.... let them struggle on in ignorance.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't like using tyre levers to put a tyre ON. You should be able to get the tyre on the rim with your thumbs. Of course tyres vary as do rims, and it is not always possible when first fitting. It is so easy to puncture the tube if you struggle with levers, and this is where the VAR lever is so helpful.

Cyclist33

I switched from 25mm width non-folding tyres on my old flatbar roadster, to folding 23mms. They *felt* much faster, but weren't, taken as an average commute time. Having more air in the tyres made more difference to be honest.

They were 40 quid the pair (at half price!) and after a year full of punctures, I went onto a pair of non-folding Michelin 23mms that were eight quid each, and didn't get one puncture. They rolled just as well.

I guess if you're ultra weight conscious then folding tyres might be important, but not for everyday use, imho.

Stu

youngoldbloke

I don't think folding or non-folding makes any difference whatsoever to puncture resistance. The weight difference is in the bead material - kevlar (folding), or steel.

Chrisc

Guru
Never had anything but folding tyres and never had a problem getting them on or off. Just fitted a new rubino pro to the rear using thumbs, ten minute job?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use folding tyres as preference - far easier to work with, and most importantly, lighter ! Talc for fitting first time. Never need levers to fit 23mm.

Garz

Squat Member
Much of a muchness between the two but historically I think the folders tend to puncture more (that's down to tyre cheapness though I reckon).

youngoldbloke

Much of a muchness between the two but historically I think the folders tend to puncture more (that's down to tyre cheapness though I reckon).

- are you saying the folding version of a particular tyre (for example Conti Gatorskin) is more likely to puncture than the non-folding? I can't understand why this might be the case? Also the folding version of a tyre tends to be more expensive than the non-folding.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
- are you saying the folding version of a particular tyre (for example Conti Gatorskin) is more likely to puncture than the non-folding? I can't understand why this might be the case? Also the folding version of a tyre tends to be more expensive than the non-folding.

Rubbish.

Folding has been the way to go for 20 years. Been using Michelin's folding tyres since the year dot - never had a wired tyre on the best bike in 20 years.

Top Bottom