Folk LPs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yes.

Yes, contemporary? As in recently released the following:

- The Child Ballads by Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer; country artists rework traditional British folk ballads compiled originally by Francis Child.
- Sweet England by Jim Moray; quite progressive.
- Lightweights and Gentlemen by Lau; awesome musicianship from award winning Scottish trio.
- Underneath the Stars by Kate Rusby; now a veteran, still with the voice of an angel.

Not so recent:

-Fotheringay by Fotheringay; the band that got Sandy Denny after the album below (which you'll probably know about). Any doubt, check out Banks of the Nile song sang by Denny, on Youtube.
-Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention.

And a whole host more when they spring to mind...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It al depends upon what you want.

Acid Croft music: any album by any of these artists is enjoyable
Peatbog Faeries
Shooglenifty
Croft Number Five
Martyn Bennet - can be challenging to some ears

Electric Folk - older stuff once again any album
Richard and Linda Thompson
Fairport Convention - History of fairport is a good cross section of their work. The more modern stuff is pedestrian and benign.
Richard Thompson solo albums
Edward II - English folk delivered through the medium of reggae

Trad folk with a modern twist: once again no duff albums
Balshezzar's Feast - a duet delivering humour and exquisitely timed music
Cara Dillon
Kate Rusby
Fribo
Kerfuffle

Bagpipes/Northumbrian Pipes
Kathryn Tickell - anything pre 2010
Fred Morrisson

Defies Description:
Hun Huur Tu - Mongolian throat singing

Classic Celtic stuff - yet again no duff albums by any of these artists
Horslips
Planxty
Na Fili
Moving Hearts

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd sit and listen to Kate Rusby sing the current thread on why uk cyclists are fixated with helmets. I saw her a week before Christmas , but there were no helmet carols.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I bought a record player for £40 on Saturday so I could play my old 45's. Then I discovered that out of the few LPs I had kept, I only liked Automatic For The People by REM, and Songs for the Organ by The Singing Loins. REM are not folk, but they are getting close. I had not really listened to The Singing Loins before, but they are quite listenable in the right mood. They are like Chaz n Dave but less music hall. I notice they are also described as lo-fi. I have just been listening to some of their songs on YouTube, and they were pretty stunningly good, but you can't seem to get much of their vinyl. Hence, I wondered what else was out there that was like that.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What about Clannad? Yes, I know some of their work doesn't really qualify as "folk", but it's nice listening anyway, especially the Gaelic tracks.

Top Bottom