Folk LPs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
braces : check
stubble : check
waistcoat: check
tambourine: check
mandolin thing:check
unfashionable hat:check
wartime style frock: check
lots of people singing along in the video: check

it's gotta be folk music:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Not sure where King Creosote lies on the folk spectrum, but his latest, From Scotland From Love, ain't bad. Also, Monk's Kitchen is pretty good if you're in a chilled mood. Neither are any good for dancing reels.

Drago

Legendary Member
Songs From the Wood by Jethro Tull. Ok, it's a progressive rock album taking a fond swipe at folk, but it's brilliant for all that. Oh so tongue in cheek, as only Anderson can do.

If you don't mind crossing the Atlantic Gordon Lightfoot has produced some good stuff.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm partial to a bit of Oysterband: Granite Years was a good compilation, albeit that it's something like ten years old now and I have no idea what they've done since

Or there's The Destroyers, if you're into Balkan folk from Birmingham

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 3257289, member: 259"]Smashing album - it was very sad what happened to him not long after. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Blimey, hadn't heard of him/this as far as I can remember, which is about 5 minutes, listening now on the spot, s'good.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I watched the folk awards last year or the year before, gawd it was dreadful, a few kids on going on about how hard they'd had to work to get noticed but failing to mention their music biz parents, some chronic hipster beards and a few old burn outs. Apart from that it was great...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The Unthanks and Kate Rusby have already been mentioned. I'd also throw in Passenger (All the little lights), and a singer/fiddler I like from the other side of the Atlantic is Sara Watkins (Sun, Midnight Sun)

Room27

Regular
Barafundle by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Chumbawamba sadly no more but evolved into a great acoustic folk-ish outfit.

I regret not going to see them sooner. I saw them at a gig two years before they split up and saw their last UK gig at Leeds City Varieties in 2012 with @CharlieB .

avsd

Guru
For Irish folk music Christy Moore is hard to bead. He can charm the birds from the trees. A few of his songs are biased against the English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Moore) but in general he is one of the greatest Irish folk singers. He sang in both Planxty & Moving Hearts which has been mentioned earlier Vernon. Some of my favourites are City of Chicago, Rose of Tralee (a very Irish story), Biko Drum. Easter Snow and the The Reel in the Flickering Light all from the The Christy Moore Collection 1981–1991. Enjoy.

Top Bottom