Food and drink advice for med. - long rides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Omario7, 19 Aug 2012.

1. Omario7

Omario7 Regular

I hav the cornwall festival of sport 150km sportive in less than a month. And so i will b startin my practice rides in 2days tym...jus wanted2kno the best nutritional advice. I bought packs of cereal and yogurt bars from aldi (dirt cheap and tasty!). Wud they b good? Also drinks wise, wud plain water suffice or wud i need to mix it with energy powder? Also how often wud u snack durin ur rides (e.g. Afta how many miles/ minutes?)...

2. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

I wud considah eatin' likkle 'n' often. Same wiv drinkz, jus take a few gob-fuwls evri now an then. I dont tendz to eat much in tha firs 20 miles. Aftah that, I kinda snack a lil and keep on snakkkkin' A few undred cals every our. Gud Luk wiv da ride.

Oh yes, in reference to your remarks, re: the yogurt bars - they would make quite an excellent little source of energy for the ride. This kind of nutrition is ideal for such activity. I would also heartily recommend fig rolls, malt loaf, wine gums and bananas! Best regards, etc, etc....

black'n'yellow and ianrauk like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Omario7

Omario7 Regular

Thnx loads sittin duck, and i'm luvin ur lingo!!! Btw, u from sw london?

4. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Wot ! No jam sarnies :ohmy:

5. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

I forgot about the jam sarnies!! Listen to this man, OP^ He is perhaps the most qualified to advise upon the subjects of both food and cycling, as any on here! :biggrin:

Omario7 likes this.
  6. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

hehe Im rather fond of both ^_^

7. OP
    OP
    Omario7

Omario7 Regular

Yes, forgot 2mention i bought strawberry jam also for jam sarnies!!!

8. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Good man :thumbsup:

9. OP
    OP
    Omario7

Omario7 Regular

How abt from the liquids side?

10. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Plain water is ok for shorter rides but anything much over a cpl of hours, I would want some kind of electrolyte but that's just me. I have been told I need to replace salts by a medical professional. Reason I am pointing this out is that folk will be on here saying you don't need anything but plain water for long rides. I suppose it's individual for each person. If it's hot obviously you will need a lot more. Try to drink before you get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you have already de-hydrated.

I have taken to maxing 250ml orange juice with 500ml water and adding a pinch of salt. This seems to work quite well and I have also used High 5 in the past a fair bit.

11. 150km in four weeks time and you're going to start training on Tuesday..?

Can I also ask - please - can you stop typing like a gangsta...? innit bro....

MattHB likes this.
  12. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

Rubbish .. what the lad needs is a couple of pints of Scrumpy and a pasty

Foxy

MrJamie likes this.
  13. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

He s after nutrition fuddy, not a bleedin' heart attack ^_^

Omario7 likes this.
  14. Muddyfox

Muddyfox Veteran

Is that where im going wrong ?

15. Get In The Van

Get In The Van Senior Member

Switch the Scrumpy to a decent IPA and that should fix the problem! :cheers:

The Brewer likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice