Food and drink advice for med. - long rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Omario7

Regular
I hav the cornwall festival of sport 150km sportive in less than a month. And so i will b startin my practice rides in 2days tym...jus wanted2kno the best nutritional advice. I bought packs of cereal and yogurt bars from aldi (dirt cheap and tasty!). Wud they b good? Also drinks wise, wud plain water suffice or wud i need to mix it with energy powder? Also how often wud u snack durin ur rides (e.g. Afta how many miles/ minutes?)...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I wud considah eatin' likkle 'n' often. Same wiv drinkz, jus take a few gob-fuwls evri now an then. I dont tendz to eat much in tha firs 20 miles. Aftah that, I kinda snack a lil and keep on snakkkkin' A few undred cals every our. Gud Luk wiv da ride.

Oh yes, in reference to your remarks, re: the yogurt bars - they would make quite an excellent little source of energy for the ride. This kind of nutrition is ideal for such activity. I would also heartily recommend fig rolls, malt loaf, wine gums and bananas! Best regards, etc, etc....

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
I wud considah eatin' likkle 'n' often. Same wiv drinkz, jus take a few gob-fuwls evri now an then. I dont tendz to eat much in tha firs 20 miles. Aftah that, I kinda snack a lil and keep on snakkkkin' A few undred cals every our. Gud Luk wiv da ride.

Oh yes, in reference to your remarks, re: the yogurt bars - they would make quite an excellent little source of energy for the ride. This kind of nutrition is ideal for such activity. I would also heartily recommend fig rolls, malt loaf, wine gums and bananas! Best regards, etc, etc....
Thnx loads sittin duck, and i'm luvin ur lingo!!! Btw, u from sw london?

lukesdad

Wot ! No jam sarnies :ohmy:

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
How abt from the liquids side?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Plain water is ok for shorter rides but anything much over a cpl of hours, I would want some kind of electrolyte but that's just me. I have been told I need to replace salts by a medical professional. Reason I am pointing this out is that folk will be on here saying you don't need anything but plain water for long rides. I suppose it's individual for each person. If it's hot obviously you will need a lot more. Try to drink before you get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you have already de-hydrated.

I have taken to maxing 250ml orange juice with 500ml water and adding a pinch of salt. This seems to work quite well and I have also used High 5 in the past a fair bit.

150km in four weeks time and you're going to start training on Tuesday..?

Can I also ask - please - can you stop typing like a gangsta...? innit bro....

Top Bottom