Food and drink advice for med. - long rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I can't understand a word of half this thread and I teach 16+ :eek: its like spying on their facebooks xx(
Let me help ^_^

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Right guys. Thanks a lot for all your feedback, which has been very useful (and funny in parts!). I will from now on take my time and type in English rather than text form. Honestly speaking, it wasn't my intention to ruffle some feathers by typing in short form. I am (as you may have gathered), new to forums. And I have to point out, all the advise I have received has been excellant, and useful. I very much respect your time and effort in replying to me, and you do not know me in person and so you don't need to do so really. But you all do it in respect of the sport that we all love... ;-)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As above:

You can spend a lot of money on energy gels and hydration products when, certainly for your first big ride, the effect these have are dwarfed by good training, good company, and waking up with your cycling head on.

Therefore see what you like from the recommended list for food, and water should be OK to start with, but if you suffer cramp problems, then salt would be a good way to address this.

Recommended food includes Jelly Babies (quick sugar fix) bananas, flapjack, malt loaf, cereal bars, jam sandwiches. All these contain sugars for an instant boost, slower release carbohydrates, and, most importantly, taste.

If anyone suggests energy bars, energy gels and isotonic sports drinks, just give them a pittying look. They are reading the advertising gumf and not listening to the wise words of the experienced.

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
Went on a steady 23 miler today (1st time on my bike since this March, and 1st time over 20 miles since last July). Had a couple of hour's rest in between as I stopped at a friend's. Had a couple of cereal and yogurt bars during the ride as well as 1 litre of water. I wanted to know at what point should I consider taking electrolyte drinks with me. I have had a look at some high5 products, but there are different types (e.g. Tablets, drums, etc). Which ones would you recommend? I hope to cycle 30 - 50 miles on a saturday and 15 - 30 miles during the week...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You should take electrolyte's in your water when you start working hard and sweating hard (and by this I don't mean getting a bit sticky or a few beads on your bonce) for a period that exceeds well beyond 60 minutes, only you know when that is!

OP
OP
O

Omario7

Regular
You should take electrolyte's in your water when you start working hard and sweating hard (and by this I don't mean getting a bit sticky or a few beads on your bonce) for a period that exceeds well beyond 60 minutes, only you know when that is!
Thanks.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As before. Robert gave me some very good advice when I was training for the 1/2 marathon, and I wouldn't question his judgement on taking on board electrolytes when training or racing hard.

Just be careful that you don't find yourself relying on this stuff every time you go out on a ride. On a long, hard ride (e.g. a Sportive, trying to get a good time, or a ride on a hot sunny day with faster friends) go for whatever you like on the electrolyte side and can get at a good price. Otherwise water is fine. The providers of the sports energy packs want to sell as much as possible, and your ego wants you to think that you are a highly tuned athlete just a nutritional tweak away from Bradley Wiggins, Ben Swift and Chris Froome. Treat them both with suspicion.

Davehateshills

So...... we have just seek team GB have a great Olympics and the guys and girls from the cycling team have certainly done their bit to inspire a generation. However we have to ask at what cost? the Olympic venues cost an arm and a leg!

You guys on here have held (and hidden I might add) a deep dark secret that could have inspired millions of children to take up the sport of cycling.

Jam Butties and Jelly Babies...... yum! If I had know that this was the staple food of the cyclist I would have been on my bike years ago!

Top Bottom