food compromises

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Garlic Lard!?

The dirty, dirty bastards.

Actually, salo s chesnokom (garlic lard) is a well known dish in Ukraine and very tasty.

walker

I didn't even know Lard was still for sale.
It's not something I substituted but I've had Turkey Rashers (as apposed to Pork Bacon) and that was really quite nice.

Cab

Substitution in cooking is just fine, if you do it right.

Made a rabbit stew with squirrel once. Many is the time I've replaced chicken in a recipe with rabbit, and its almost always better.

Our cooking tends to be more about what food we've got than what we really want to eat. At the moment everything has spuds in it (the marked or damaged ones from the main crop I just dug up on the allotment on Saturday). Spuds, and courgettes, and runner beans mosty at the moment.

Pete said:
OK, back again. In fact we rarely if ever have butter in the house, let alone lard. Garlic margarine may horrify the purists but is perfectly acceptable and tasty as far as I'm concerned.

Margarine is the work of the devil. I used to make it, back in the days I worked at a well - known manufacturer of one of the best selling yellow fat spreads, and you wouldn't believe the amount of horrible crap that goes in it. The colouring came in 25 litre aluminium bottles, was marked with a black cross on an orange background and carried the warning "May Cause Birth Defects in Pregnant Women" on it. It's full of hydrogenated fat too. The butter we made was cream and a little salt, and nothing else. Much nicer and probably no worse for you.

Melvil

Rhythm Thief said:
Margarine is the work of the devil. I used to make it, back in the days I worked at a well - known manufacturer of one of the best selling yellow fat spreads, and you wouldn't believe the amount of horrible crap that goes in it. The colouring came in 25 litre aluminium bottles, was marked with a black cross on an orange background and carried the warning "May Cause Birth Defects in Pregnant Women" on it. It's full of hydrogenated fat too. The butter we made was cream and a little salt, and nothing else. Much nicer and probably no worse for you.

Aye...but what about Olive Oil Spread??? :ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
it was actually quite nice. Like butter but a bit less salty. Leaves you wanting a cup of tea though, for some reason.

You want to buy unsalted butter, it's better for cooking with, burns less easily...

I guess I'd happily eat bread fried in bacon fat, and adding garlic wouldn't be such a big step.

I'm assuming you were melting the lard and butter and combining it with bread, (baking in oven or frying) rather than just spreading it on bread. I wouldn't fancy that so much... Although my Mum has always been partial to chicken dripping on bread, which is a similar thing in terms of rendered fat.

twowheelsgood

Garlic with olive oil is pretty good and (probably) healthier.

Naturally it suits Italian breads best instead of your usual baguette.

Cab

Dinner tonight... Baked beetroot, blue cheese and rocket salad. Tomato, air dried ham and basil salad dressed with olive oil, pepper and olive oil. Home made malted wholegrain bread. Green salad (lettuce, rocket, sorrel, chard, chickweed, celery, baby kale). Followed by huckleberry pie and custard.

Nothing much genuine in any of those recipes to be honest, lots of ingredients substituted. But its loads of home grown food and tasty.

Oh, and the bread will have butter. Not margarine. The trick, I think, is to simply use less butter, rather than to use more something as deeply dubious as margarine.

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
Dinner tonight... Baked beetroot, blue cheese and rocket salad. Tomato, air dried ham and basil salad dressed with olive oil, pepper and olive oil. Home made malted wholegrain bread. Green salad (lettuce, rocket, sorrel, chard, chickweed, celery, baby kale). Followed by huckleberry pie and custard.

Nothing much genuine in any of those recipes to be honest, lots of ingredients substituted. But its loads of home grown food and tasty.

Oh, and the bread will have butter. Not margarine. The trick, I think, is to simply use less butter, rather than to use more something as deeply dubious as margarine.

Cool, what time are you serving up?

mosschops2

Bonj - thanks for the Garlic Lard. By far the funniest thing I've read in days!!
Can't imagine it even - and am not going to give it a try any time soon!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
mosschops2 said:
Bonj - thanks for the Garlic Lard. By far the funniest thing I've read in days!!
Can't imagine it even - and am not going to give it a try any time soon!!!!

A bunch of use were talking about recipes last week and one emeritus professor came up with an idea - a "What not to cook" book - experimental recipes you try once, and decide never to repeat...:ohmy: My supervisor contributed Pilchard pilaf...

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Arch said:
You want to buy unsalted butter, it's better for cooking with, burns less easily...

I guess I'd happily eat bread fried in bacon fat, and adding garlic wouldn't be such a big step.

I'm assuming you were melting the lard and butter and combining it with bread, (baking in oven or frying) rather than just spreading it on bread. I wouldn't fancy that so much... Although my Mum has always been partial to chicken dripping on bread, which is a similar thing in terms of rendered fat.

No, i was actually frying crushed garlic, then frying prawns in it then eating it with bread from the oven.

Top Bottom