Food for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
For me, the headaches come from exposure to the sun (wearing a helmet with bandana on head). Regular breaks in the shade were necessary.

Nausea generally came from too much water. 4 liters would be a "dry" day for me. I could easily consume 8, even more.
I found that when I stopped for the day if I had access to cold water I could demish 2 or 3 liters in an hour.

When I could I'd alternate 7-up/Sprite with water during the day.

I've taken to popping my helmet on my saddle pack every time I ride a climb or the heat just builds up too much, exposure is an issue though and like you, I try to dodge between shade as much as possible. Luckily the heat was only in the low thirties this summer where I was, still dangerous enough if not hydrating properly though.

I know!

It's just a quick local overnighter, but an exciting looking route none the less. I've been eying it up for well over a month now, but between appalling September weather and lots of family commitments I've been unable to go. There's a weather window this week, Wednesday/Thursday so the bikes all packed, food all baked and hopefully the window stays open and I'll be off.

Where were you touring?

Me I was riding to the south coast stupid old fool!

Spain and a teeny, tiny part of Portugal

Luckily the heat was only in the low thirties this summer where I was, still dangerous enough if not hydrating properly though.

Without meaning to veer into NACA territory it looks like these extreme weather patterns are here to stay and they can be very dangerous.

I'm aware of two hikers, both men, both younger than me and both fit who died on the route to Santiago during the extreme heat.

It's just a quick local overnighter,
Have a great time! The delays only add to the pleasure

Top Bottom