Food for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I know we’re supposed to keep hydrated but a litre in 20 mls seems ridiculous. Unless you sweat a lot and i can’t see that happening on a gentle 20. I’d be spending more time on the roadside than on the bike.
My last two rides of 30 mls I’ve set off with one bottle half full and brought some back each time.
Don't forget this on top of what you should be drinking anyway. Less than half a bottle in the time it takes to ride 30 miles doesn't sound much.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was advised by a consultant doctor that I should drink at least 5 pints of water per day and a lot more if getting sweaty due to exercise or hot weather. Not difficult once you get into the habit of doing this. The downside is you need to stop for a piss more often than before you start this regime.

GlamorganGuy

Thanks everyone. Really helpful.

I reckon I'm not drinking enough, leading to problems. Time to fill up my bottles and get out there!

Speaking from experience, a spoonful of flax seeds (sometimes called linseeds), either brown or golden, sprinkled on cereal, works wonders. Get into the habit of having it every day and I'm sure you'll see an improvement (increased water is important too of course). Best of luck!

Sallar55

Veteran
Met a couple of French cyclotourists once, said the best snack was condensed milk(sugar) and bread. Problem is in the UK bread is usually crap unless you buy the best.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Porridge (made with milk) and coffee for breakfast. Banana and oat bars for snacks. Ham rolls at cafe stops. I don't do cakes. Drink lots of fluids but save the beer for the evening.

A Kit Kat is a good treat for the last few miles of your day.

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
@slowmotion definitely agree with your breakfast of porridge and coffee .
Too give my porridge a protein boost I mix an egg into the milk before cooking.
I know its a combination that doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Don't forget this on top of what you should be drinking anyway. Less than half a bottle in the time it takes to ride 30 miles doesn't sound much.

I think I'd drink about 1l of fluids for 100miler on top of what I usually drink at meals cafe stops etc. But I'm not a heavy sweater and quite lightweight at 70kg.

Jameshow

Veteran
Porridge (made with milk) and coffee for breakfast. Banana and oat bars for snacks. Ham rolls at cafe stops. I don't do cakes. Drink lots of fluids but save the beer for the evening.

A Kit Kat is a good treat for the last few miles of your day.

Also porridge on the ride too... Flapjack!

Must be make with raisin and apricots though!👍👍👍

Sallar55

Veteran
@slowmotion definitely agree with your breakfast of porridge and coffee .
Too to give my porridge a protein boost I mix an egg into the milk before cooking.
I know its a combination that doesn’t appeal to everyone.
Porridge is bland but everyone has a way of making it. Mine is sultanas, bannana and honey mixed in before it's in the microwave.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've been getting into homemade food for cycling lately, I've been making home made energy balls for during the day, a combination of Oats, Dates, Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Chia Seeds.

IMG_20220917_164932524.jpg

For an upcoming trip I've also just made up some Granola, with oats, honey, coconut oil and whatever nuts I feel like throwing in, I'll also probably add some blueberries or maybe some banana to it. Washed down with freshly brewed coffee it's a great way to start the day on a multi day trip.

IMG_20221017_121614542_HDR.jpg

With regards hydration, despite drinking the best part of four litres a day, if not more, I'd been having some issues with headaches and nausea, especially on hot days. This year in the Swiss Jura ride I took some High Five Zero hydration salts, which was an experiment for me. They come in a bunch of different flavours and I took some berry flavoured ones and surprisingly not only were they more than palatable, but they really helped stave off any headaches and problems, I actually felt really good and hydrated at the end of the day. I would commonly use about four litres of water a day, with two litres being plain water and two being the hydration salts and they worked really well, so much so that I use them a lot all through the summer, wether on tour or not.

Jameshow

Veteran
My little rule to be broken is ..

Dry days eat outside, wet days eat in.

Sometimes you need a warm shelter as much as food.

Another trick is to get going before you have breakfast perhaps 15-20miles and then a decent breakfast and before lunch you have perhaps 60miles out of the way?!

With regards hydration, despite drinking the best part of four litres a day, if not more, I'd been having some issues with headaches and nausea, especially on hot days. This year in the Swiss Jura ride I took some High Five Zero hydration salts, which was an experiment for me. They come in a bunch of different flavours and I took some berry flavoured ones and surprisingly not only were they more than palatable, but they really helped stave off any headaches and problems, I actually felt really good and hydrated at the end of the day. I would commonly use about four litres of water a day, with two litres being plain water and two being the hydration salts and they worked really well, so much so that I use them a lot all through the summer, wether on tour or not.
I've had a serious education in hydration this summer. Temperatures were often in the 40s for days on end.

For me, the headaches come from exposure to the sun (wearing a helmet with bandana on head). Regular breaks in the shade were necessary.

At night, cramping became a painful, regular occurance, eased somewhat by stretching before bed and electrolytes bought from a pharmacy.

I've had either tablets (swallow with water) or fizzy, flavoured tabs to mix with water. Both work well although the flavoured ones can make warm water palatable.

Nausea generally came from too much water. 4 liters would be a "dry" day for me. I could easily consume 8, even more.
I found that when I stopped for the day if I had access to cold water I could demish 2 or 3 liters in an hour.

When I could I'd alternate 7-up/Sprite with water during the day.

For an upcoming trip
Tease! ^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I find I cycle further on a porridge breakfast before feeling the need for a snack than anything else. I chuck raisins into it whilst cooking and plenty of salt, then cold milk and syrup to serve!

To the original questions, little and often during the day for eating and then a hearty meal and beer/wine in the evening to fuel you up for the next day.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've had a serious education in hydration this summer. Temperatures were often in the 40s for days on end.

For me, the headaches come from exposure to the sun (wearing a helmet with bandana on head). Regular breaks in the shade were necessary.

At night, cramping became a painful, regular occurance, eased somewhat by stretching before bed and electrolytes bought from a pharmacy.

I've had either tablets (swallow with water) or fizzy, flavoured tabs to mix with water. Both work well although the flavoured ones can make warm water palatable.

Nausea generally came from too much water. 4 liters would be a "dry" day for me. I could easily consume 8, even more.
I found that when I stopped for the day if I had access to cold water I could demish 2 or 3 liters in an hour.

When I could I'd alternate 7-up/Sprite with water during the day.

Tease! ^_^

Where were you touring?

Me I was riding to the south coast stupid old fool!

Top Bottom