Food? Gels? Supplements? What do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

I was out on a 42 mile ride today, and turned out to be a bit underprepared. The ride consisted of 3500ft of climbing, and by half way through I was out of food and knackered - more than 15 miles from the nearest shop. I had to take a detour near the end to a garage to fuel me up for the last 5 miles.

I left just after lunch and took some food (some fruit, a small bag of chocolate pretzels) to keep me going as I thought I wouldn't need much at ~40 miles since I'd not long eaten. I was obviously wrong, and the constant climbing and brutal head/side winds (I was going 8mph on a downhill at one point) made it much worse.

Apart from my back (another topic entirely) I wasn't sore or stiff - my legs had a lot of strength left in them but it was the hunger and lack of energy that killed me.

One of my goals for this year is to do my first century, and I want to get smart about building my distance. After today I have a fear of bonking miles and miles away from any town or village, and want to make sure that never happens.

I've done 50 milers with a lunch stop half way through and was (almost) fine. A mid-ride meal isn't always possible though. I've never used energy gels, but usually pack things like oatcakes, fruit and sweet stuff.

The wife is surprisingly happy to add whatever food or energy stuff I want to our next shopping list. For training, should I stick with food, or should I be looking at buying things like gels, etc?

On the same note, with drinks, I usually go 1 x bottle water and 1 x bottle of squash. Should I look at electrolyte drinks instead? I'd rather not buy into the marketing stuff if water and squash is 90% as good.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely, you mean 3,500 feet of climbing? :whistle:

We have some really hilly loops round here that come in at 25 metres of ascent per km but if your numbers are right then yours would have been double that! :eek:

I mix water and OJ 2:1 and add a couple of scoops of maltodextrin powder per 750 mL on long rides. I'd have a few snacks here and there too - maybe a Coke and a sandwich or cereal bar.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Always have a decent breakfast before going out, either scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon, or a big bowl of fruit n fibre with whole milk.

SIS Go electrolyte tabs in my water (2x800 ml bottles on every ride) to keep hydrated - I've only ever needed more in the hottest of days.

High5 energy bars are good and work as a mid ride top up (for me), with a Snickers bar or Haribo Tangfastic if I need a quick boost.

Edit to add that gels are the work of Satan. If you want to try them, High5 seem to be the gentlest on the system, if you know what I mean...

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I carry gels occasionaly but rarely use them. Jelly babies famously do the same job for a fraction of the price. I do use eloctrolyte tabs when on a long ride or a hot sweaty day. Food stop on a long ride, carry a choc bar/flapjack/maltloaf with you for emergency use. I've done my first 4 imperial centuries in 2018 after previously my highest was 74 miles. 1st was 101 miles, then another at 105 miles and 118 and the 4th 132 miles. I don't know what your average speed is but on rides uo to 74 miles mine was around 14-15mph. By dropping that down to 12-13mph the centuries were no bother, even hilly ones.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never used an energy gel/bar. Tried electrolyte drinks once when in recovery a few years back but never since. For my century rides I stick to normal breakfast (granola + milk), cup of tea and coffee. For the ride I'll take I few bits of Soreen (or homemade banana + honey loaf), and a few choccy bars (Snickers, Double Decker etc) and 2 x 750ml bottles. In the Winter that's enough fluid, but Summer demands a stop to top up. If I find a decent place to stop on the route around 60 - 70 miles in then coffee and cake.
50 - 60 milers tend to have a bit of cake/choccy bar and a bottle, less than that and it's just fluids.

lane

Veteran
I carry some Aldi cereal bars because they don't cost much. Maybe some Jelly babies.

tom73

Guru
@NorthernDave smoked salmon ooooo get you.

A good breakfast is a must for me porridge hits the spot plus it’s slow relese so keeps your energy up for a few old miles.

Tried a few different electrolyte tablets the cheep ones taste cheep and artificial. Found the best for taste and effective to be high5 zero pink the grapefruit is my favourite. Helps keep the cramps at bay and in the past have had potassium level issues so help keep them topped up. Always carry a few sis energy gels and bars for an emergency. Inc an electrolyte gel in case a run out of water. Don’t forget post ride fuel too sis Rego Recovery chocolate flavour sure is nice end to a ride once home it’s quick and hit the spot.

OnTheRopes

Regular
Energy bars and gels are good but you don't need them.
Start with a good breakfast, porridge and toast and marmalade for me.
I carry a banana cut in half, two if its a really long ride and a bit of flapjack or similar.
If the ride is going to be long I will put some Torq Energy drink in a bottle, otherwise just water.
I carry a gel sometimes just as a backup.
Fig Roll biscuits are a great source of energy

OP
OP
Hopey

Hopey

Thanks for the replies all - seems a few of you use the energy drink tablets. What do they do that food/gels and water/juice doesn't?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@NorthernDave smoked salmon ooooo get you.

I know, does sound a bit poncy doesn't it? ^_^
But it's no more expensive than decent bacon. :mrpig:

Thanks for the replies all - seems a few of you use the energy drink tablets. What do they do that food/gels and water/juice doesn't?

The electrolyte tabs improve hydration over plain water and help avoid cramping. Plus they make the water taste better!
There are whole threads on the subject.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have boxes of gels that people give me for Christmas and my birthday because I am a cyclist. I usually carry one on longer rides for an emergency, but cannot remember the last time I actually consumed one. My guess is by now they have fermented so I should probably see if they have improved. For fuel, seeing as I very rarely stop on a ride I eat a pork pie or a chocolate croissant. If I have not scoffed them all at home then a little pack of Harribo stolen from my kids is a special treat.

I do suffer from cramps on long rides, so anything longer than 50 miles and I will have an electrolyte tan or two in my bottles, I think they work, it is difficult to tell.

Top Bottom