Food? Gels? Supplements? What do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I used to use sugary foods, but had a terrible gastric experience whilst on a cycling tour, which spoilt my tour.

I decided to train with nothing but water and eat savoury foods For me I eat a 100g of porridge in the mornings and eat a sandwich every 2 Hours mostly ham and cheese. Since then i dont suffer and have better long ride performance eating less often

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Food every time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Food, gels are disgusting!
Porridge for breakfast, sandwich or roll, flapjack, cake, granola squares, haribo jelly babies
I can’t do chocolate though as fuel for riding, too cloying, makes me feel icky

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A good meal the night before the ride. A light breakfast. I normally have a yogurt. Orange juice in my bottle. A 45 mile ride you should not need anything else. You will need to take something with you to get through a 100 mile ride.but proper food not gels.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Food, water and, on longer rides, electrolyte tablets in the water.

It’s worth learning what carbohydrates and proteins food contains and find the right balance for you.

There is no ‘one solution fits all’ as every individual is different and every body has different needs depending on how we exert ourselves - we all put different amounts of effort into our cycling and our bodies burn fuel at different rates.

I use the electrolyte tablets because I was feeling wiped out after longer rides and after a spot of research, I read that I might be experiencing an electrolyte imbalance. Tried the soluble tablets and I’ve never felt wiped out since.

Work out what’s right for you. Unfortunately, this is mostly done by trial and error.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Up to 45 miles or so, in general I can manage with what I have eaten, (usually a cereal breakfast and mug of tea). More than that, because I very rarely do cafe stops, I take a cheese sandwich or pasty, which I will nibble at from around 30 miles at roughly 10 miles intervals, depending upon the terrain. Also normally lurking in my bike bag are Decathlon gel as a back up and a pack of jelly beans or babies for when thing really get tough.
For drink usually some cordial with a small pinch of salt.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've just discovered the energy giving benefits of porridge, a bowl of that before a ride and I'm good for 2 hours or so / 30 - 40 miles. I still put a large B&M flapjack and a few High 5 gels in the jersey pocket though 'just-in-case', I've only ever got close to 'bonking' once and don't intend to repeat the experience! For hydration in summer it's 2 x 800ml bottles with hydration tabs, I use the 'For Goodness Shakes' ones from Wiggle (and occasionally available from Morrisons) as they're a bit cheaper than High 5/SIS and I prefer the taste, without them I'm susceptible to cramps. In winter I don't need so much water so I use a 1 litre SIS mega-bottle and the emergency waterproof jacket goes in the second bottle cage.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just water and real food for me even on distances of 100+ miles. I did once try the drink tablets that came free from some event or other I entered. I felt great after riding 130 miles that day, but then the next time I used them I just thought Meh! Maybe I was just on a good day the first time I used them, not really bothered since and have not suffered as a result.
My main problem is remembering to eat and hydrate often enough to keep fresh. It is often late in the day when I realise I am only just finishing my first bottle and then it is a struggle to catch up and I can start to feel a little worse for wear.
EDIT: That last point might be the reason the drink tablets worked so well the first time. Because I had 'magic' water and was thinking about it more perhaps I actually drank enough to stay properly hydrated?

porridge, brown toast, flapjacks, jelly babies. any combination of these works for me. hydration is also key to a decent ride for me so some form of diluted cordial plus a pinch of salt if I don't have any tabs to drop into my drink.

its always better to carry a little more than you need - the old saying that it is better to have and not need than need and not have works for me.

Gels are fine for emergencies but im not a racing cyclist so any extra weight from a flapjack or pack of sweets wont make a difference to me.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've used Quaker porridge to go bars for a good few months now & find them very good. Did one ride of about 80 miles, with a bit of climbing, last summer, bowl of cereal before I set off & one porridge bar whilst out on the bike & felt fine. Cheap as chips too, a local outlet was selling them at 4 bars for a quid :okay:
I tend to carry a gel in case of emergencies, but don't often use them. Normally get 12 free from SIS on one of their promotions & don't generally use them before they are out of date :blush:
porridge_to_go_golden_syrup_squaresc758ad2426aa4dc1a9527686e498827f.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Food. Hitchhikers' muscle relaxant can also be good with it sometimes :cheers:

I thought those water additive tablets only worked to prevent cramps if one was deficient in something they contain.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Food. Hitchhikers' muscle relaxant can also be good with it sometimes :cheers:

I thought those water additive tablets only worked to prevent cramps if one was deficient in something they contain.
Maybe if cramp was caused by lack of one or combination of them.

The jury is still out on the real cause iirc

mgs315

I guess I’m a bit against the grain then as (although I fuel with real food before) I tend to use gels (Sis-Go Apple once an hour) and electrolyte (Hi-5 tablets you get cheap in Lidl every now and then in one bottle, water in the other).

Usually followed by cake and a big coffee at the end but you can’t win them all.

Top Bottom