Food? Gels? Supplements? What do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I keep 2-3 hours worth of food in my jersey pockets. The rest is in the top tube bag, stem bags and saddle pack or seat pack depending on my set up for the ride.

I was sent some natural bars from Veloforte. Best yet. They are massive and I planned to eat half a bar every hour and a half. They were good, so that half bar became a full bar. This weekend’s lumpy 200 was the closest I have got to perfect fuelling. I would get these again.

I also use SIS gels 30-45 mins in advance of any big climbs or if I am falling to pieces. I use SIS Rego for recovery after long days or hard turbo sessions. So far SIS is the only stuff that doesn’t induce any gastro-distress. It’s very safe.

On full day rides I need to have a proper knife and fork stop. More than that: 2 proper meals.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I love chocolate, maybe too much, but tend not to use these on warmer day for obvious reasons unless you prefer sucking the melted contents out of the wrapper.
Oh yes. No roadside / bus shelter meal is complete for me without a Ritter Sport Rum & Raisin bar for pudding. But as you say, hot weather can cause problems (both for the rider and the chocolate)

Altura rack pack btw

D

Deleted member 89407

@Blue Hills, @vickster, @Heltor Chasca Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try a combination of saddle bag and compact frame pack to begin with and see how I get on. My rides are only short at the moment (short compared to a lot of posts I read from other members anyway) but as I increase the mileage I might go for a rack pack. The key here is to try and get used to carrying less and only what I really need as I used to carry too much on my mtb rides. I think I am going to try the Veloforte mixed starter set for fuelling my body, they look pretty good.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For tomorrow's 400km ride I will have a packet of shortbread and three packets of crisps. About every 3-4 hours we will stop for a sit down etc. The snacks are just for having if running a bit low before a stop. The crisps are good for topping up salt levels if necessary. It sits in a rack pack unless I am snacking on them in which case some short bread fingers may be in a rear pocket.

postman

Legendary Member
Fish and chips with mushy peas work well for an evening stop. Maybe a pint or two after to keep hydrated.

Alf_chips.jpg

Are you Alf Tupper.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Porridge for breakfast and then ham rolls and coffee at the café stop. I drink really weak lemon squash with a teaspoon of sugar and half a teaspoon of salt. None of the above yields any performance but I usually manage to get to the end. I sometimes gobble a KitKat when there are only a few miles to go. I rehydrate with beer.

gazza81

Über Member
I done my longest ride this weekend gone at 41 miles, i took a cheese and pickle sandwich and winegums

Cut the sandwich in 4 and at 1hr 30min and every 45mins after had a square of Sandwich and 2 winegums
Seemed to work fine for me, i dont want to have too much suger i would rather have food if i can get away with it, that might change as im still new to cycling.
That was at 630am with a bowl of granola 15mins before leaving.
3350ft elevation too

An expensive(fish) option but Rapha Cargo shorts are ossum for carrying gels and bars.

As for eating stuff have been converted to Torq gels and bars(have them in the shop)which tate nice and don't seem to give me any stomach issues which other brands have done;you should be able to try the gels at a Torq dealer who has the tasting station.

nickAKA

Über Member
An expensive(fish) option but Rapha Cargo shorts are ossum for carrying gels and bars.

How robust are those pockets? They look a bit delicate to me... next time I'm in town I'm going to nip to the clubhouse to see them in the flesh but I'm pretty sure that will result in a purchase of some description!

Top Bottom