Food miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
How far he's your food travelled?
I've just eaten the last of my pack of dates. They were grown in Chile, packed in Turkey and sold in Northampton UK.

That's an (approximate) minimum distance of 10,000 air miles, an unknown number of road miles, plus a 3 mile walk to the Favel Tesco, and back.

Ive been eating courgettes with 5 food metres. The beans are more like 7.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We have been eating runner beans that have been grown in our veg plot and apples that have come off my parents apple trees so those 2 products have only done single figure mileage

But yes it's crazy the amount of miles some food does to end up on our tables

D

Deleted member 26715

The packaging says "Carefully prepared in sunny Northamptonshire", so by utter fluke the food miles for the finished product can't be more than about 35 miles or so. However, the good Lord Trump only knows where the ingredients originate.
I think you are under the impression that they are manufactured locally & not flown to Netherlands for processing & then via train to Germany to be finally brought back to within 35 miles of their origin via HGV.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not under any impression - I have little idea what "prepared" actually means. It could mean anything from fully cooked to simply having an already finished product stuffed into the wrapper. That is why I was very careful to say "...the food miles for the finished product..."

I have little doubt the at the very least the ingredients, or combinations thereof, came from all over the shop.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had some Peruvian Asparagus last week. :hungry:

Brains

Legendary Member
How far he's your food travelled?
I've just eaten the last of my pack of dates. They were grown in Chile, packed in Turkey and sold in Northampton UK.

That's an (approximate) minimum distance of 10,000 air miles, an unknown number of road miles, plus a 3 mile walk to the Favel Tesco, and back.

It's unlikely to be air miles, more likely ship miles.
Ships can move stuff from A to B far cheaper.
Where an aircraft will change $10/per Kg, a ship will change $10/per Ton

Your dates clocked up approximately 11,400 sea miles and probably 2-300 land miles

If you want to look at massive mileage, chicken is particularly good.
Soya beans grown in Brazil
Shipped to China to feed to Chickens
Frozen chickens shipped into Europe
Minimum 20,000 Sea Miles and 1,000+ land miles

Shrimps are another good one:
Caught off Iceland.
Shipped to Thailand for shelling, processing and packaging.
Shipped to Iceland (Northampton branch) for selling.
25,000+ sea miles (but probably only 3-400 land miles)

Last edited:
Top Bottom