1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Nostalgia

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Aint Skeered, 26 Mar 2008.

1. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

Just taken delivery of a quarter of Gloucestershire Old Spot pig, with a couple of trotters thrown in (not Del & Rodney)
    Anyway got chatting to a mate of mine about 'proper food' that we used to have.
    And we both agreed that we miss the old foods, that now seem so unhealthy, that our grandparents ate well into there 80's and beyond.
    Beef dripping, Suet pudding, to start the ball rolling perhaps

2. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

jam roly-poly :tongue:

3. Bread pudding. My Mum wasted nothing. Bread and Butter pudding if it was a lucky day.

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

One thing that we've had since my little one was born is full milk and real butter.
    Just these two little things have cheered me no end. I had forgotten just how nice real butter is on a slice of fresh bread, and coffee with semi-skimmed? No thanks!

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Lardy Cake.

6. col

col Veteran

Or is it fatty cake,as we say from round ere?

7. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Arctic Roll. Loved it when I was a wee sprog.

8. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Can you still get it?

9. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

I don't know. I haven't seen it lately, but I try to avoid Iceland. I'd come out laden down with Brctic Rolls, Black Forest Gateau and crinkle-cut chips.;)

10. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

panhaggerty, or as we called it in Northumberland: panhakkerty

Layers of corned beef, onions, potatoes in a stock & cooked in the oven until the top layer of potatoes was all crispy & brown and the underlayers had cooked by absorbing all the stock.

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Yes... so I'm told ;):ohmy:

12. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Digressing somewhat..

Proper custard: thick, yellow, sweet. None of that weak, namby-pamby 'creme anglais' cr4p!

13. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

....An arctic role being the equivalent of a headache with attitude :biggrin:;)

14. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Proper Greggs stottie cake. Can't get it down here in softie-southernerland: even in any Greggs's shops (but they are rare). Proper stottie cake is as big as a dinner plate, but thin and is *crusty*. I wonder if it still is like that in the NE?

15. Sausage and egg pie