Food Nostalgia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Spangles

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Aperitif said:
Bread pudding. My Mum wasted nothing. Bread and Butter pudding if it was a lucky day.

I still make bread pud and bread and butter pud occasionally... also summer pudding, (bread, fruit, a couple of weights, no not the fags the heavy things)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
wafflycat said:
Proper Greggs stottie cake. Can't get it down here in softie-southernerland: even in any Greggs's shops (but they are rare). Proper stottie cake is as big as a dinner plate, but thin and is *crusty*. I wonder if it still is like that in the NE?
In Greggs these days its just a big bap (or should i say a pir of big baps):wacko:

wafflycat

Fnaar said:
In Greggs these days its just a big bap (or should i say a pir of big baps):wacko:

*weeps a silent tear for glories lost*

Greggs's stotties sued to be wonderful things: immediately identifiable from look, texture and taste. If they have been lost, to become just a big bap, the world is a sadder place.

*sheds another silent tear*

xx(:sad::biggrin::sad::rolleyes::sad::rolleyes:

p.s. yes, I am aware in the great scheme of things, the loss of proper stotties is not exactly earth shattering!

crow_se

wafflycat said:
panhaggerty, or as we called it in Northumberland: panhakkerty

Layers of corned beef, onions, potatoes in a stock & cooked in the oven until the top layer of potatoes was all crispy & brown and the underlayers had cooked by absorbing all the stock.

My wife does a similar thing, but corned beef only at the bottom, half pint of milk instead of stock and layers of cheese as well as onions and potatoes - definitely food of the gods !

Arch

Married to Night Train
crow_se said:
My wife does a similar thing, but corned beef only at the bottom, half pint of milk instead of stock and layers of cheese as well as onions and potatoes - definitely food of the gods !

Dribbling at the the thought!:wacko:

The one thing I can think of (apart from when Mars Bars and Creme Eggs and Wagon Wheels were a proper size;)), is Philadelphia Cream Cheese in those little foil parcels it used to come in. It was a great treat for us to have Philadelphia when I was little, I think it was before own-brand cream cheese started to be available and Philly was relatively expensive. The tininess of the packet only made it even more desirable.

Funny the strength of association we have with these memories. I'm right back in our flat, sitting at the dinner table with Mum and Dad and I can taste that cheese...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
*weeps a silent tear for glories lost*

Greggs's stotties sued to be wonderful things: immediately identifiable from look, texture and taste. If they have been lost, to become just a big bap, the world is a sadder place.

*sheds another silent tear*

:wacko::sad::rolleyes::sad::sad::sad::sad:

p.s. yes, I am aware in the great scheme of things, the loss of proper stotties is not exactly earth shattering!

Not earth shattering, maybe, but important. One of our local bakers used to make the best pork pies ever. Hand raised pastry, good rich peppery jelly, decently chunky pork in a Melton Mowbray style, but made about 10 miles from my house and sold the same day. They were truly a thing of magnificence and beauty.
And then they stopped.:sad:
And I haven't enjoyed a pork pie since.
Good news for my waistline, but a little bit of me died that day.
RIP Days of Ashwell pork pies.
*wells up a little*

wafflycat

I know what you mean. In the town I grew up in was a pork butcher who made the best chipolata-type sausages on the planet. Lovely pork and very peppery. Indeed, you didn't ask for sausages, said items were referred to as 'Maddisons' which was the name of the butcher shop. Then they changed the recipe.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!

The world was a sadder place.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
miloat said:
I remember when you could get cereal with marshmallows in it.

Erm... you could try putting said items of fluffy confectioneryinto a bowl of cereal.... just a thought! :wacko::sad:
More importantly, however, on the theme of cereal, Golden Nuggets! :rolleyes: Big rocks of bloody sugar, but a box only lasted about a day and a half in our house!

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
on the theme of cereal, Golden Nuggets! :wacko: Big rocks of bloody sugar, but a box only lasted about a day and a half in our house!
You can still get them!
Are you confusing nostalgia with hunger?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Reading this thread, and Tea? where we're swapping poverty pasta recipes, is indeed making me hungry. I may have to go to the chippy up the road.:rolleyes:
After all, I only work near it for another 11 days...:wacko:

NickM

Veteran
wafflycat said:
I know what you mean. In the town I grew up in was a pork butcher who made the best chipolata-type sausages on the planet...
I'm sure they were very fine, but they could only have been second-best, the world's best sausages having (once) been made by Craske's of Norwich.

No more :wacko:

I could once have consoled myself with a slice of toast (white sliced bread), liberally spread with dripping (plenty of brown jelly in it) and sprinkled with salt. Not now... I'll probably die just from thinking about it.

Top Bottom