Food on 1st 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Albert

Über Member
A couple of hard boiled eggs and bananas are always part of my rations on a day long ride.

U

User482

I find energy gels and bars to be very unpleasant-tasting and hard to digest. I use a very dilute energy drink and normal, energy intensive foods such as trail mix and flap jack - it's easy to grab a handful of trail mix from your jersey pocket. If it's a social ride then have a proper lunch stop for something like baked potato with beans and cheese. Leave the cake/ beer stop until quite near the end of the ride.

albion

Guru
I do regular 100 milers at a similar supposed pedestrian pace.

I'd suggest topping up with toast before you set off but just take what's in the fridge or freezer.
I have under-eaten on a ride but never overeaten so don't worry about carrying or eating too much food.

I have gotten though 100 miles on blueberry muffins and jam sandwiches but sugar is almost irrelevant at a pedestrian pace.

lpretro1

Why don't you just get a saddle pack or bar bag and put your stuff in that? You can't afford to skimp on your food or you'll suffer badly in the later part of the ride.

OP
OP
NotthatJasonKenny

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Why don't you just get a saddle pack or bar bag and put your stuff in that? You can't afford to skimp on your food or you'll suffer badly in the later part of the ride.

I did! I had three pockets in my shirt stuffed full of 2 bananas, 2 gels, 2 bars, some cashews, 2 slices of malt loaf, plus when we stopped we took the pros advice and drank full fat coke! All helped!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I carry salted nuts and jelly babies and try to stop at least twice for a cafe meal. fried breakfast about 10 oclock then whatever youi fancy later. Large sugary coffee with both meals. You really dont need energy bars/gels etc if you eat enough ordinary food. I take two 750 mil waterbottles and refill whenever possible.

Amongst my 'foods' on this ride I also took a jelly. A proper old fashioned chunky jelly.

The others I was with thought I was bonkers when I pulled it out, but it was great.

Gave me something to chew rather than slurping gels, it gave me a sugar boost and was simple to munch at while riding :thumbsup:

2bluegp

A couple of hard boiled eggs and bananas are always part of my rations on a day long ride.
but they dont look too good in your back pocket:smile:

BJH

Über Member
Proper chunky jelly works easily as good as energy gels.

Malt loaf is my food of choice. Two slices at each of the 3 stops on the M100 miler i had with an energy bar.

Take the powder to add to the water too.

That said a couple of years back on the same ride and it was quite warm, leading to a can of cold coke being munched with a mars bar on the final stop.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Me, on yesterday's 100 miles I ate 3 mini malt loaves (+ one wrapper accidentally swallowed xx(), an energy gel and a flap jack. 3 x 500ml bottles of water, 1 with energy powder and 1 with salt tablet. Oh, and a McDonald's.

I always found 2 weetabix or porridge and toast before,then during a coupla jam sarnies, a banana, some malt loaf and a box of fig rolls held with elastic bands on top of the bars worked for me. If passing a shop a can of full on coke or lemonade got drunk, plus two water bottles on the bike. But it's a few years since I did a hundred so maybe I would need to try and see what would work now.

Top Bottom