Foods to help put (healthy) weight on.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
After 8 months of Long Covid MrsD lost 3 stone... went from 10 down to 7.
She has regained her appetite and put 10 lbs back on in the last 4 weeks.......mainly with creamy/fatty foods. She also has 2 Fortijuice per day.
We want to continue the gain but gradually move to healthier food.
We are thinking protein type stuff but need it to add weight.
What think you.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Higher fat versions of what you already eat. Protein is likely to fill you up more. When i lost a load of weight, Increasing lean protein is a good way to fill you up without over eating, as in it keeps you filler for longer. I would monitor the intake and apply the same principle to weight loss, but for weight gain. So, if in weight loss you drop 400 calories a day for approximately 1lb a week weight loss, add 400 calories a day for approximately 1lb of weight gain a week...

si_c

Guru
The food types she'll need to eat would be largely dependent upon the weight-type she is looking to put on. Lean muscle mass is different from weight in general.

It might be worth seeing if she can get an appointment with a Dietician and get a food plan organised. Otherwise you run the risk of eating the "wrong" food types with unhealthy weight gain.

midlife

Guru
To gain weight after cancer treatment many of my patients are advised to supplement their diet with "Ensure". Always through a dietitian though.

Sharky

Guru
To gain weight after cancer treatment many of my patients are advised to supplement their diet with "Ensure". Always through a dietitian though.
You should be able to get ensure on prescription -ask your GP.
My daughter is currently on these, following a month in hospital (not covid related). But she is now liking them so much, that she is having them in addition to a healthy meal!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You should be able to get ensure on prescription -ask your GP.
My daughter is currently on these, following a month in hospital (not covid related). But she is now liking them so much, that she is having them in addition to a healthy meal!
MrsD is on Fortijuice which is 300 Cals per shot.....I assume its a similar thing.

Top Bottom