Football World Cup - Russia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So football has come home.........early. Shame:cry:

Levo-Lon

Guru
When the England game plan stops using the goalkeeper to blast the ball up the field to the opposition!!
And passing the ball all the way back when your 20-30 yards from the other teams goal they might get to a trophy.
We were ok but a lot of teams in this WC were very poor and we didnt even have Holland or Italy?

Are well it was the usual England spectacle for me.
I think Belgium will beat us comfortably again too.

A lot needs to happen in the next 2-4 years.
But well done England you did the best you could.

Brandane

Legendary Member
"Let's give them a heroes' welcome". WTF? This is why us neutrals (;)) like to see England fail at any football event. Heroes?
People who risk their own lives going into dangerous caves to save the lives of 12 children; they might be heroes. A bunch of overpaid footballers who go on a jolly to Russia to play a game they love, and then achieve what? They are not heroes. They beat Sweden, that was the only real achievement. Thank God it's all over!

AndyRM

XOXO
Saturday's rematch should at least be competitive. And the final should be a cracking game!

AndyRM

XOXO
@Pro Tour Punditry - this is an image from Hyde Park. I like how they've inadvertently got a guy with "end" on his shirt.

IMG_20180712_074811.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
"Let's give them a heroes' welcome". WTF? This is why us neutrals (;)) like to see England fail at any football event. Heroes?
People who risk their own lives going into dangerous caves to save the lives of 12 children; they might be heroes. A bunch of overpaid footballers who go on a jolly to Russia to play a game they love, and then achieve what? They are not heroes. They beat Sweden, that was the only real achievement. Thank God it's all over!
Despite the descent into typical Sweaty bitterness at the end ;), I agree that all the ‘Our Heroes’ stuff is just bollyhocks. They did well, they generally cheered people up south of Alnwick and now it’s done. Brexit is still (probably) happening, Trump’s still visiting and Accy is still somehow finding shoot to post about.

And don’t get me started about the blanket worship of the Armed Forces!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Despite the descent into typical Sweaty bitterness at the end ;), I agree that all the ‘Our Heroes’ stuff is just bollyhocks. They did well, they generally cheered people up south of Alnwick and now it’s done. Brexit is still (probably) happening, Trump’s still visiting and Accy is still somehow finding shoot to post about.

On the plus side, not getting to the final means the government can't use football as a distraction from the harsh realities they need to face up to. As I write this, Theresa May is calling an emergency cabinet meeting to discuss what to do about the Accy problem.

They did far better than I thought they would, aided by a kind draw, which they made their own luck to get. They played like a team looked like a team, won a penalty shootout and are only a couple of creative midfielders short of a very good team

Probably 4th out of a 122 footballing nations, that's ok.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes as you must have some insight as to why it’s nof possible. After all no one (probably) predicted what has happened in this WC.
I'm not saying that it's impossible. More highly unlikely. Germany,Brazil,Italy,Argentina and to a lesser extent Holland make the semis at least twice in a decade of world cups. England don't as statistics show. It was 24 years from us making a semi in 1966 till me reached one again in 1990. Then as it was 28 years from 1990 till yesterday. Add 24 and 28 and you get 52. Divide it by 2 and you get 26. So our next semi final will be either in 24 or 28 years time. I'll either be 81 or 85 by then. That's how i've worked out why i might not be around come the next time England make a world cup semi final.:thanks:

Last edited:
Top Bottom