Football World Cup - Russia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Belgium look dangerous every time they go forward. England lack creativity big time.

My favourite bit of commentary so far:

It seems so long ago since Maguire arrived to training after his first England call up with two carrier bags.

"Alright lads? Feel the quality of these. Don't make em like this anymore. To you, 4p each, or the pair for 7p"

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That 2nd goal was a shame but pretty inevitable. At least England started to make themselves some good chances in the 2nd half before Belgium managed to score on the counter.
Exactly.

Cue the hand wringers and negative doomongers to pop up and say England never beat a decent side in this World Cup, most goals came from set pieces etc etc

I said before the WC started that the greatest influence on England's poor performance in previous tournaments has been the massive pressure put on individuals by the media and supporters. England always went into a tournament knowing if they didn't perform they would get crucified. This was the first time I can remember there being no pressure of expectations and guess what....with a team bereft of superstars they did really well

So if you care about England's future performance (and I appreciate that some here don't) ease off the criticism. It's a work in progress

AndyRM

XOXO
By some miracle Hoddle actually said something which made sense, along the lines of Belgium being 6/7 years along their squad cycle, with England a good few behind in theirs. Makes a lot of sense.

The supporters thing isn't helped by the fact that a lot of folk only watch international tournament football and don't have a clue beyond what they're spoon fed by commentators and tabloid newspapers.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Exactly.

Cue the hand wringers and negative doomongers to pop up and say England never beat a decent side in this World Cup, most goals came from set pieces etc etc

I said before the WC started that the greatest influence on England's poor performance in previous tournaments has been the massive pressure put on individuals by the media and supporters. England always went into a tournament knowing if they didn't perform they would get crucified. This was the first time I can remember there being no pressure of expectations and guess what....with a team bereft of superstars they did really well

So if you care about England's future performance (and I appreciate that some here don't) ease off the criticism. It's a work in progress

Very true, we shall see in 2 years if it's going to click.
Been very impressed with several players.
But I'll never warm to Sterling in a E shirt

AndyRM

XOXO
Happy to be corrected, but I believe Hoddle's win record as England manager was among the best in recent times.

He looked set to really take the job forward, until he gave that (taped) interview to The Times.

It is, but that doesn't mean he doesn't generally talk a load of cliched drivel as a commentator. Be great if we could get more insightful comments like that, rather than "Sterling is fast".

Well, m'mother is being insufferable... :surrender:

We're always at loggerheads when it comes to international footy. At least we support the same club side :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Can we actually see young England players getting a load of Prem games under their belts.With the number of foreign managers who are given free reign to spend multi millions on foreign stars.In hope of securing that one top spot.A managers life depends on results and he cannot wait around for our talent to emerge under his stewardship.I think we are in for a long long wait,the hype and media coverage and hope was interesting but the team failed,mind you so did Messi,Neymar,Ronaldo,the entire German team so they got further than them.One or two won't wear an England shirt again i think.

AndyRM

XOXO
So, predictions for the final?

France won't be able to sit in like they did against Belgium and despite Modric's claims I really doubt Croatia will fancy another 120 minute game.

That said, I'm gonna go with 2-2 after 90, everyone dead on their feet in extra time and Croatia on penalties.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
So, predictions for the final?

France won't be able to sit in like they did against Belgium and despite Modric's claims I really doubt Croatia will fancy another 120 minute game.

That said, I'm gonna go with 2-2 after 90, everyone dead on their feet in extra time and Croatia on penalties.
I doubt that Croatia will manage to harry France off the ball like they did England. 2 - 0 to France.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Can we actually see young England players getting a load of Prem games under their belts.With the number of foreign managers who are given free reign to spend multi millions on foreign stars.In hope of securing that one top spot.A managers life depends on results and he cannot wait around for our talent to emerge under his stewardship.I think we are in for a long long wait,the hype and media coverage and hope was interesting but the team failed,mind you so did Messi,Neymar,Ronaldo,the entire German team so they got further than them.One or two won't wear an England shirt again i think.
That's the problem. England have some talented youngsters at under 21 and under 17 level with tournament success behind them, but I can't help feeling most of them will either end up bench warming at the big clubs or playing in the Championship.

Top Bottom