Footwear for commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
+1 for the Karrimor waterproof walking shoes. I've got a pair and they cope well with all but the wettest of weather.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
In my experience using SPD shoes on flat pedals is very slippy due to the hard cleat hole cover. Some sort of walking or trail shoe is probably best
Yes, I have a Lidl MTB hard sole SPD compatible pair that are OK on flats but generally I would not choose a cleat friendly shoe on non clippy pedals. I've several pairs of now very dusty SPD shoes since committing back to flat pedals. The Lidl ones work mainly because they have a good thick ridged tread pattern akin to a walking boot and I prefer a quite toothy pedal.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I use SPDs on my commuting bikes with Shimano MT71 in wet/cold weather, or RT82 shoes in warm dry weather.

For flats I again would vote for the Karrimor walking shoes, they are a good solid sole and the waterproofing is pretty good.

Stinboy

Über Member
I use Eggbeaters and Shimano mo63 shoes on all my bikes - the singlespeed, sunday best road bike and mountain bike :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Flat spiky pedals and any shoe with a rigid sole.
Walking boots in winter.
I use cages but no straps on one bike, only on the right foot: cages on my left foot make my knee hurt - got a long standing orthopedic condition.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Toe clips and straps and a pair of brown leather lonsdale trainer-type-things. Fine for commuting and they look a bit like old-school cycling shoes to go with my 60s racer :smile: I've tried old running shoes but find they tend to rub on the cranks a little which can get annoying.

High heels or stilettos

Are these yours?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVHaDkTiTipB_hO0HOAStN-h9y_xiYQ1RqmH6JqJyYiWziY882.jpg

I use the MT71 for commuting and general use:

prod55381_Brown%20-%20Black_NE_01?wid=500&hei=505.jpg

I use the MT 90 when touring and likely to be trekking across fields and moors:

Shimano%20MT90%20boots.JPG

Finally my summer sandals are the Keen Commuters

CYP211.testeddps.keen_prev-700-80.jpg

Top Bottom