For all you newbies that need cheap stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Leicestershire has them. Never seen one up here in Yorkshire. Locally,our equivalent is Boyes, which also has a haberdashery department with knitting supplies..

Arch said:
Leicestershire has them. Never seen one up here in Yorkshire. Locally,our equivalent is Boyes, which also has a haberdashery department with knitting supplies..

that will explain why I've never been in one when I've been in Yorkshire.

DLB

Arch said:

there's loads in yorkshire - leeds, donnie, sheffield, rotherham, worksop....

i guess this is because the main headquarters is in yorkshire. Didn't reaise you had them south of the Watford gap tho.

Arch

Married to Night Train
DLB said:

i guess this is because the main headquarters is in yorkshire. Didn't reaise you had them south of the Watford gap tho.

Worksop is Notts...

Well, we don't have one in York, as far as I know. Maybe Boyes (and Barnitts, our local hardware store) have conered the market...

Chris James

Über Member
DLB said:

I guess York is too posh for Wilkos? I bet there is one hidden away somewhere though.

There is one in Chester and Chester is considerably posher than York.

Cestrian Chris

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
punkypossum said:
Wilkos is ace, can't beat it! They sell everything you could possibly want and a lot cheaper than most places!!!
There is a Wilkos in Halifax. I got a very good head torch for under £10 there last year.

Wilkos is a great shop. Why pay more for exactly the same item elsewhere ? Unless you actally want to pay more in which case the old adage " a fool and his money are easily parted " probably applies.

Cyclists never used to be such a snobby lot [yeh, yeh, generalisation I know]

bonj2

Arch said:
Worksop is Notts...

Well, we don't have one in York, as far as I know. Maybe Boyes (and Barnitts, our local hardware store) have conered the market...

worksop is in notts you're right arch but only just :smile:
interestingly wilko's head office and massive distribution centre is at worksop, I regularly drive past it on the A57, always a massive fleet of wilko's lorries there.

yes wilko's do sell cycling gear. However on more than one occasion i've been there i've been so impressed by the cheapness i've overlooked the fact they don't actually have the correct part - and just bought the nearest one, thinking it will do, only to find it actually won't do. e.g. bought some v-brake blocks from there, only to find they didn't fit, and a 27" inner tube, only to find it didn't fit. They thankfully refunded the inner tube, but not the brake blocks as i'd butchered them to try to make them fit but decided against using them in the end.

got one of their budget crudcatchers, 'bout as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

thumbs up to their tyre levers though - 75p for 3 compared to 2 or 3 quid on wiggle and never let me down! and water bottle, top comes off a bit easy but again, can't complain for 75p.

col

Legendary Member
My wifes favourite perfume,Organza is only £15 in wilkinsons,£25 anywhere else.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
worksop is in notts you're right arch but only just :smile:

I'm not proud, 'only just' right is good enough for me...

and water bottle, top comes off a bit easy but again, can't complain for 75p.

Ah, that would suit me, I always end up struggling to unscrew my water bottle tops, having screwed them down tight, or struggling with those pop-on/off sorts because they are too tight... I have long artistic delicate fingers, you see...

The one thing Wilkinsons have apparently stopped selling (or you couldn't get them for a while) was 'Golden Fleece' scouring pads. My Mum uses them and when she couldn't get them in Wilko, she had me go look in Boyes, and they had them, so everyso often, I'd send her a pack... One year I gave her some wrapped up at Christmas... :blush: (And yes, I had got her a proper present!)

DLB

Arch said:
The one thing Wilkinsons have apparently stopped selling (or you couldn't get them for a while) was 'Golden Fleece' scouring pads. My Mum uses them and when she couldn't get them in Wilko, she had me go look in Boyes, and they had them, so everyso often, I'd send her a pack... One year I gave her some wrapped up at Christmas... :smile: (And yes, I had got her a proper present!)

i wish you were my daughter - what a wonderful present :blush::biggrin:

I'm so glad this is a wilko forum and not a cycling forum!!

Top Bottom