For Beginners - What is the single most helpful advice or change made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MiK1138

Veteran
use sunscreen

Joeletaxi

Regular
I used to cycle a lot in my early teens, mostly to school and back,,a fair few miles. Now im in my early 60s i still think im pretty trim and fit but in need of some aerobic improvements i dragged my mountain bike out of the shed.

Lessons i learned

Dont spend a fortune on a bike at first. Get your old hack out of the garage. The early stages of taking up cycling involve pain and discomfort. Its as simple as that. Whether you do that on your old hack or a 2 grand new bike is immaterial. You have to sweat through that early stage to get to a certain level of fitness where you can enjoy the ride and you can do it without the pain.

Learn basic cycle safety skills. Im in favour of his vis,a lot arent,,your choice.

Make sure your bike is well adjusted. Seat height is critical,also make sure tyre pressures are well up.

In the early stages ride a set route and use a phone app to measure performance. This should show continual improvement which will encourage you and demonstrate clear results

Remember,its never a crime to change down so if your feeling the pressure on a slope, drop a gear..

Most of all keep going..

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. Cycling in bad weather now and again makes good weather seem much nicer :smile:

Enjoy cycling. Enjoy everything you do or why bother?

Don't fuss over components. Learn the difference between nice to have and need.

speccy1

Sometimes we've been cycling so long, we forget what it's like to be a beginner. If someone were to ask me the most helpful skill for a beginner it would be "learn to get on and off the bike without falling".

What's yours? One per "customer" please.
Don`t join cyclechat!!

eggman

I used to cycle a lot in my early teens, mostly to school and back,,a fair few miles. Now im in my early 60s i still think im pretty trim and fit but in need of some aerobic improvements i dragged my mountain bike out of the shed.

Lessons i learned

Dont spend a fortune on a bike at first. Get your old hack out of the garage. The early stages of taking up cycling involve pain and discomfort. Its as simple as that. Whether you do that on your old hack or a 2 grand new bike is immaterial. You have to sweat through that early stage to get to a certain level of fitness where you can enjoy the ride and you can do it without the pain.

Learn basic cycle safety skills. Im in favour of his vis,a lot arent,,your choice.

Make sure your bike is well adjusted. Seat height is critical,also make sure tyre pressures are well up.

In the early stages ride a set route and use a phone app to measure performance. This should show continual improvement which will encourage you and demonstrate clear results

Remember,its never a crime to change down so if your feeling the pressure on a slope, drop a gear..

Most of all keep going..

Only disagree on one point raised. Buy a half decent bike. I did I bought my Carrera Fury in 2012 on the advice of What MB mag. It replaced a 20 year old Raleigh and boy was it eye opening, especially the disc brakes and its ability to freewheel long distances whereas i had to pedal the Raleigh downhills. It still puts a smile on my face every day. :smile: :smile: :smile:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Only disagree on one point raised. Buy a half decent bike. I did I bought my Carrera Fury in 2012 on the advice of What MB mag. It replaced a 20 year old Raleigh and boy was it eye opening, especially the disc brakes and its ability to freewheel long distances whereas i had to pedal the Raleigh downhills. It still puts a smile on my face every day. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I dragged my son's Tesco special out of the garage, fixed it and rode that for 18 months. You don't have to buy anything, I certainly couldn't afford £400 for a new bike. Get out, ride what you have, learn how to fix it and save up for something better.

eggman

I dragged my son's Tesco special out of the garage, fixed it and rode that for 18 months. You don't have to buy anything, I certainly couldn't afford £400 for a new bike. Get out, ride what you have, learn how to fix it and save up for something better.

Fair point. My Carrera introduced me to becoming much more involved in cycling, due to its relative ease of use as it is so stable and reassuring - off road and mud plugging. Enjoy what you have is what it boils down to i believe. :smile:

Top Bottom