For Beginners - What is the single most helpful advice or change made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My tip: Make sure you don't nip the inner tube when putting a tyre back on. As a beginner I got a puncture every day for a week on my commute. An experienced cyclist checked my tyre for sharp objects sticking through - there were none. he then asked how I replaced the punctured tubes. It turned out that I was using tyre levers in a very careless way and damaging the new tubes which then failed a few hours later.

GuyBoden

Guru
My tip: Make sure you don't nip the inner tube when putting a tyre back on. As a beginner I got a puncture every day for a week on my commute. An experienced cyclist checked my tyre for sharp objects sticking through - there were none. he then asked how I replaced the punctured tubes. It turned out that I was using tyre levers in a very careless way and damaging the new tubes which then failed a few hours later.

Good tip, usually, I've always pulled the tyres back on with brute force without using tyre levers. But, I suppose it depends on the tyre.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good tip, usually, I've always pulled the tyres back on with brute force without using tyre levers. But, I suppose it depends on the tyre.
It depends on the tyre/rim combination. I have some that are very easy to do without using tyre levers. I have had others that are almost impossible even using strong tyre levers.

Putting a bit of air in the tube helps to reduce the chances of pinching it, but if you put too much in then it makes getting the tyre on almost impossible

Okeydokey

Buy second hand bikes, its amazing how many expensive bikes sit in a garage after less than 100 miles only to be sold when the enthusiast realises you have to peddle the thing (but now needs the room in the garage to store the next fashion driven artefact). The cycle to work scheme may offer you 30% off, second hand bikes offers you alot more.
Don't believe all the goodness that is supposed to eminate from your LBS, they are not all full of goodness.

Reactions: 2IT

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
(Also nothing more terrifying the first time out on the first set you ever build)

One note of reassurance there - if you see the state of the wheels some people are happy to ride (BSOs on urban bike paths mostly, imo) that seem to survive repeated commutes, any wheel you build with a modicum of care is, in all probability, not going to explode and deposit you unexpectedly in traffic.

Going back to a point made earlier about route finding "Stop thinking like a driver" was the big one for me. Rather than take the direct (but 70mph limit) road I was used to for my commute, my LBS recommended a more circuitous (but arguably as fast by bike) route on smaller roads. It was an eye opener.

It's nearly always possible to spin for miles. If you're tired, don't worry just spin and you'll get there eventually!

I only realised this earlier this year, it's opened long distances up no end for me!

bikeman66

Too many very useful pieces of advice given to me over the years, for which I have mostly been very grateful for, to pick out one that stands out! The most important advice I think I would be able to give is........just enjoy the bike, whether it's on the road, on the trail, for competition, for just riding to a cafe', for taking it apart and fettling unnecessarily, for polishing it to a point where you can see your face in it, or for simply just gazing at it........and bloody loving it! Enjoy your bike(s)!

Too many very useful pieces of advice given to me over the years, for which I have mostly been very grateful for, to pick out one that stands out! The most important advice I think I would be able to give is........just enjoy the bike, whether it's on the road, on the trail, for competition, for just riding to a cafe', for taking it apart and fettling unnecessarily, for polishing it to a point where you can see your face in it, or for simply just gazing at it........and bloody loving it! Enjoy your bike(s)!

I used to be ultra competitive all the time,but now I just enjoy ripping up the trails for the sheer enjoyment of being out on a bike

Choose the bike that makes you smile!

Yep,my bike is a Mongrel,made up of a mish mash of old parts and very few new ones.
Best bike I've ridden,and gives me tremendous joy.

ozboz

Guru
Saddle height is totally important , I was riding my MTB with saddle to low for too long , developed a serious IT band problem , took agonising months to get right , so yes , get that right ,

Top Bottom