For Beginners - What is the single most helpful advice or change made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Get to know your bike, do regular quick checks to ensure that the bike is working ok...............it's a long walk back if things go wrong..................
Exactly. Yesterday while riding my seat post dropped a few inches during a short ride. Luckily it was just three miles back to the car. Maybe I could carry those wrenches. Felt like riding a children's bike. Yes to your quick checks.

Bought over from motorcycling but equally applicable to push bikes (as is counter-steering but OP says you can only have one!)

If you feel a bit squirrely when cornering at faster speeds (this is not applicable to turning left or right after having stopped at a set of lights/give way it's for faster cornering) place some weight on the outside pedal. I.e. if you are turning left weight (push down with the foot on) the right pedal. This should settle things down nicely and make the bike feel more planted in the corner.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Bought over from motorcycling but equally applicable to push bikes (as is counter-steering but OP says you can only have one!)

If you feel a bit squirrely when cornering at faster speeds (this is not applicable to turning left or right after having stopped at a set of lights/give way it's for faster cornering) place some weight on the outside pedal. I.e. if you are turning left weight (push down with the foot on) the right pedal. This should settle things down nicely and make the bike feel more planted in the corner.
This is also useful for keeping your inside pedal well out of the way of any kerbs etc that it might clip of your inside foot was down.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One I have been learning recently It doesn't get any easier you just go faster.
You know, I don't buy this one. I do understand what it means ... keep pushing yourself and keep improving ... but it's just not for me. I think it DOES get easier.

What would have been an hideous painful hill to me 4 years ago is now an exercise in bottom gear twiddling; Long distances are now possible and enjoyable, not semi possible grinds ending as a miserable struggle to to keep the pedals turning.

Of course I could keep repeatedly pushing myself on longer rides into the misery zone, or I could seek out the hilliest routes so my legs are jellified on even a 1% gradient, but hey I want to enjoy the fruits of my labours as well as occasionally pushing myself.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Single most important change (since returning to cycling after a long absence)
Learning to build my own wheels.
Nothing more satisfying
(Also nothing more terrifying the first time out on the first set you ever build)

Killiekevin

My advice.....be the cyclist you want to be. Dont worry about what every else is riding, wearing and what gadgets are the must haves. Buy the bike you like and what suits the type of riding you do. Wear what you like without worrying about whether you are a real cyclist or worry people think you're a knob because you're fully kitted out. And enjoy it.

united4ever

Über Member
Great stuff here. The saddle height is a good one. I would say filtering on the right not the left was a bit of a revelation for me in terms of how it is much safer. Would never have had the confidence when I started.

Top Bottom