For pity's sake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Hi BM!
Dunno if you know Brockley Cross(the Brockley Rd/Shardolese Rd. intersection heading for Goldsmiths? It was at the double roundabout just after the railway bridge, a truly sh*te piece of road planning at the best of times.:ohmy:

Crikey thats my route!!

I know the brockley cross double RAB's well...they are a nightmare....made worse by an twat in a WVM...I cant believe he was "pushing" you...what a pillock

tdr1nka...I don't know where you come from, but if it's from Lewisham, you can avoid the "cross" by using a small alley way to the rear of the area...

here is a link to the spot that you can navigate away from to get your bearings.

Glad to hear that you are Okay and well done for "talking the guy down"...I'm amazed that you kept your cool so well.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I'm not sure which bit i find more shocking to be honest, the metal bar or the back wheel nudging. Both are inexcusable.
A bar mounted tazer would be the ideal negotiating tool in that situation.

Well done for staying calm, don't know what i'd have done.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Cheers Johnny, I know that route well.:biggrin:

This run is from New Cross Gate to Brockley Road and I would otherwise go over the hill(Pepys Rd.)and back if I was on my own but when it comes to the tandem 'taxi' neither my GF or my daughter are strong enough to make the climb, hence we go round the hill via Goldsmiths and down the side street by the Rosemary Branch pub to cut out the 'bus stop bottle neck' on Shardoles Rd.

Sadly, having to go thru the 'Cross' to get GF to work and Daughter to school remains a going concern.:ohmy:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tdr1nka, that's not a nice bit of town for roads, I agree the road design there is so ill conceived - is there no other alternative around the side streets at all?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
First point, REPORT this immiediately...Posession of an offensive weapon..for starters. Not to mention dangerous driving etc.:ohmy:

Next point is everyone aware of how to use thier bike (might be difficult with a tandem) in self defence?

Simply pull the bike up onto its back wheel holding the rear brake. Keep the bike between the offender and youself. Make sure you do not hold the front brake. This allows the front wheel to rotate and makes it difficult for an offender to get hold of. If the offender approaches you, use the front wheel as a battering ram to hit the offender in the face / chest etc. Remember to shout loudly "GET BACK" or "HELP!" at the top of your voice. (Helps with breathing, attracts attention and shows you as being the victim)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc06347.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
I would otherwise go over the hill(Pepys Rd.)and back if I was on my own but when it comes to the tandem 'taxi' neither my GF or my daughter are strong enough to make the climb,

Funny you mention that, I come home via the "round route" you mention

Once I tried "cutting over" Peyps....... it was all I could do to stop myself from passing out:ohmy:...it's a MONSTER!!

,,,and you do it on a Tandem....:ohmy:

jimboalee

The metal bar is called a 'Tire buddy'.

North American truckers use them to thump the tyres. If the sound is not right, the tyre is deflated and needs pumping up.

Train locomotive engineers did the same thing to check for cracked wheels. Remember the 'Wheel tappers and shunters social club'?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Vikeonabike said:
First point, REPORT this immiediately...Posession of an offensive weapon..for starters. Not to mention dangerous driving etc.:ohmy:

Next point is everyone aware of how to use thier bike (might be difficult with a tandem) in self defence?

Simply pull the bike up onto its back wheel holding the rear brake. Keep the bike between the offender and youself. Make sure you do not hold the front brake. This allows the front wheel to rotate and makes it difficult for an offender to get hold of. If the offender approaches you, use the front wheel as a battering ram to hit the offender in the face / chest etc. Remember to shout loudly "GET BACK" or "HELP!" at the top of your voice. (Helps with breathing, attracts attention and shows you as being the victim)
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/police/dsc06347.jpg

That's a very good idea, i'd never thought of that, thanks.

Lurker

tdr1nka said:
Just got in from dropping 'the good lady' off at work on the tandem.

On my way home I was stopped and giving way at a mini roundabout when a WVM starts heavily nudging my back wheel.

... I got him to put the bar down, get back in his van and drive away.

For pity's sake!
How impatient and stupid are people?

What a horrible thing to happen - but well done in handling the situation so well. One for
http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/ ?

HobbesChoice

I have to join the ranks of those impressed with how well you handled that. Hopefully all the comments on here about you have brightened the situation? I only wish that when something like that happens to me I handle it as well!

Just proves he's a thick coward though when he needed you to point out the repercussions of his actions which then made him scuttle away.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jeez, what a horrible thing to deal with. For some people I really do favour the death penalty, if he was a dog, he'd have been shot by now.

:sad:

Well done. I can't begin to think how I'd handle that.

Thanks for the advice re bike-as-a-weapon Vike, I'd have probably thrown it at him but the method you describe lets you keep them away from you and (hopefully) defuse the situation a bit.
Tdr1nka, sounds rather like the cro-magnon you encountered has some 'anger management' issues, and you did well to avoid getting hurt. It's stories like this that make me want to emulate the Magnatoms of this world and carry a helmt cam all the time!

Top Bottom