For the man who has everything.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You could replace the mechanism with a quartz one. They’re Inexpensive. Some even “ listen” for the daily wireless time signal and correct themselves.
Sacrilege! A working clock is a thing of beauty. It won’t be cheap to fix but a regular clean and service will allow it to see you out. £100 not unreasonable considering the time and knowledge needed. There may be a local enthusiast who can look at it for you. Ask around. I do some but not in your part of the world.

Seeing as this is a fleabay related thread, what do you reckon to this? 🤔

View attachment 601979

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154500025096?hash=item23f8eb4b08:g:JigAAOSwPkFgzzE2

My mum and dad's 1956 wedding present Smiths Enfield clock i have is in need or repair. I took it into a watch/clock menders today asking how much it'd be to repair it. They said they don't know till they take it apart,but it could be around £100 :ohmy:. Yes,i know it has lots of sentimental value,but if my dad was here he'd say "don't bother lad, save your money"! I'd still keep it, but it just wouldn't run.

You could always ask the horologist to charge by the hour...as long as they use your clock. :okay:

dodgy

They were better in the vulcan.
Also on the Invincible, I can remember sat at the 'back' of the ship listening to them and watching the wash from back of the ship. Awesome.
I also used to watch Vulcans doing engine tests over my house in Lincoln, they would spiral at full power in the sky, then spiral down again and then repeat.

stephec

Legendary Member
Seeing as this is a fleabay related thread, what do you reckon to this? 🤔

View attachment 601979

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154500025096?hash=item23f8eb4b08:g:JigAAOSwPkFgzzE2

My mum and dad's 1956 wedding present Smiths Enfield clock i have is in need or repair. I took it into a watch/clock menders today asking how much it'd be to repair it. They said they don't know till they take it apart,but it could be around £100 :ohmy:. Yes,i know it has lots of sentimental value,but if my dad was here he'd say "don't bother lad, save your money"! I'd still keep it, but it just wouldn't run.
That's lovely, there's a cuckoo clock museum near Northwich who can repair stuff like that,.

Might be worth speaking to them as well @HMS_Dave although the two brothers who run it aren't exactly young, so depending on how long it will be before you inherit it might be too late.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think it is the antiques centre in bridgnorth. I know the watchmaker that serviced it retired after 45 years. He serviced it for the majority of his career! I'll speak to my dad about it, in case you're interested. But perhaps it's a bit far to send it from your way!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My garden ornament:okay:...gonna need a bigger garden^_^ (with apologies to the late Roy Scheider):

02.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My garden ornament:okay:...gonna need a bigger garden^_^ (with apologies to the late Roy Scheider):

View attachment 602390
I want me one of those !

Also on the Invincible, I can remember sat at the 'back' of the ship listening to them and watching the wash from back of the ship. Awesome.
I also used to watch Vulcans doing engine tests over my house in Lincoln, they would spiral at full power in the sky, then spiral down again and then repeat.
As an apprentice I helped install the engines on Invincible, then later on stood (or clung) on the quarterdeck during speed and turning trials watching the wake go higher than the openings.

dodgy

As an apprentice I helped install the engines on Invincible, then later on stood (or clung) on the quarterdeck during speed and turning trials watching the wake go higher than the openings.
I spent 2 weeks on it during an exercise in the North Sea and can honestly say that though I hated every bloody minute of it (apart from the above), I'm glad I did it. I had a new found respect for the Navy lads who live like that every day.

Olympus jet engines are very loud. How do I know?
I was cycling to the correct terminal at Heathrow, on my way to fly to Madeira, when the lights turned red. The road within the airport crosses a runway. I stop at the head of traffic and wait. A few mins later, Concord comes in to land directly over my head. The noise and vibration were ubelievable, I could barely stand.

Olympus jet engines are very loud. How do I know?
I was cycling to the correct terminal at Heathrow, on my way to fly to Madeira, when the lights turned red. The road within the airport crosses a runway. I stop at the head of traffic and wait. A few mins later, Concord comes in to land directly over my head. The noise and vibration were ubelievable, I could barely stand.
My Dad and I used to have a special day out every Grand National day
Pack up a lunch and some drink and head for Liverpool
Avoid the chaos around Aintree (where he grew up) and head for the airport

Concord used to come in (either 1 or 2 of them) on a champagne trip from London - then take off again on a supersonic trip over the Atlantic - land again - the take off again after the race and take the first group back to London

The unofficial viewing place was just back from the end of the runway

LOUD!!!!

Memories of some great one-to-one days with him!!

Top Bottom