For us "more mature" riders.... aches and pains, what do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
OK for us more mature folks, it's noticeable that as you get older, those aches and pains start to, well, not go away as quickly, or even appear where they didn't used to. I've been noticing this more and more.... the aches and stiff joints that don't go away. I'm in my early 50's, cycle 3-5 times a week with a mixture of on and off road, and I'm at a stage where I have an almost non-stop low level muscle aching and stiff joints.

It's been suggested I take an anti-inflammatory -ibuprofen (https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html) after a ride, but I'm reticent; I'm of the opinion that unless you really need some medication, you don't take it. While you could argue you need something if you have aches and pains, I'd also argue they aren't stopping me from doing stuff and are manageable. However, I would like to feel less achy!

So the question is: what do you do to manage aches and stiff joints? Any reasonable dietary adjustments (should add I'm vegan but no problems based on my bloodwork) or anything else that you've found work? I'd rather not take a medication route (but would if necessary).

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Every now and then I have to have a day or two off the bike to recover.
I just accept it.
Sorry that doesn't help you, but that's what I do.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I combine weight training at home with cycling. When I started picking up the dumbells after a twenty eight year break from weight training. The aches and pains were pretty bad initially but with regular training sessions and cycling I am now probably fitter than I have been for a great many years and totally pain free even after long rides .
So my answer would be exercise as well as cycling to keep the muscles and joints moving and supple.
edit; By the way I am fifty eight years old.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I strained my calf playing hockey on Wed night. Very tender on th and Fri, despite ice and ibuprofen gel. Rode 60 odd miles.on Saturday (long standing arrangement I didn't want to cancel and pressing the pedal wasn't aggravating it).
By Saturday evening I couldn't feel any pain at all, cycling had cured it.

Doesn't really answer your question, but I guess I'm saying just carry on and ignore the odd niggle.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I find that cycling is therapy in itself. I have more aches and pains if I'm off the bike for any length of time.
A couple of examples:
Went to the doctor to ask about my chronic hip pain. He asked me if I would like to have a hip replacement, When I declined he prescribed me ibuprofen.
Started cycling regularly and the hip pain has gone.
Went to the doctor to ask about my wheezy breathlessness. Had some tests and was diagnosed mild asthma. Came out with a ventilator.
I persevered with the hills around here, am breathing better and have chucked the ventilator away.
I've had 3 weeks off the bike to recover from a shoulder operation, and started getting twinges from the hip again.
Fortunately the shoulder op was more straightforward than anticipated, so was able to get on the bike again last week. Hip pain gone again.
I'll be 64 next month btw.
I've been cycling regularly for a couple of years now and I feel fitter now than I have for 20 years.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd try the anti-inflammatory and if it helps, try to figure out what was causing the inflammation. It might be incurable but could be environmental. I'm not that old yet but is "an almost non-stop low level muscle aching and stiff joints" really usual for over-50s? :sad:

Spud Murphy

OK for us more mature folks, it's noticeable that as you get older, those aches and pains start to, well, not go away as quickly, or even appear where they didn't used to. I've been noticing this more and more.... the aches and stiff joints that don't go away. I'm in my early 50's, cycle 3-5 times a week with a mixture of on and off road, and I'm at a stage where I have an almost non-stop low level muscle aching and stiff joints.

It's been suggested I take an anti-inflammatory -ibuprofen (https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html) after a ride, but I'm reticent; I'm of the opinion that unless you really need some medication, you don't take it. While you could argue you need something if you have aches and pains, I'd also argue they aren't stopping me from doing stuff and are manageable. However, I would like to feel less achy!

So the question is: what do you do to manage aches and stiff joints? Any reasonable dietary adjustments (should add I'm vegan but no problems based on my bloodwork) or anything else that you've found work? I'd rather not take a medication route (but would if necessary).
I've always found a good rub down with an oily nurse works for me!

User269

Assuming you have nothing medically diagnosable, the main thing is to stretch regularly. You can do these yourself at home or join a Pure Stretch class (Mrs Whiskywheels runs one) or try pilates, yoga or massage therapy. Some of the main stretches can be found here.

You may find dietary changes or supplements such as Glucosamine are helpful, but these are more of a long term strategy.
Ibuprofen helps, but isn't ideal for taking on a regular daily basis. Whisky is a short term but enjoyable remedy.

I suffer from aches and stiff joints, and also some arthritic changes in some areas. I find stretching and not being still for too long resolves most of these issues, otherwise I soon start to feel tight hamstrings, lower back pain, and stiff neck and shoulders.

You need to be more proactive to stay active. In the last few years I have incorporated stretching, rolling and self-massage into my routine. If I have an ache I actively tackle it because it won't just go away. Saying that I have begun to notice that impact sports, like running, hurt more and I don't think there's much to be done for that, it's just the process of thinning cartilage and stiffer joints even with a warm up.

ayceejay

Guru
I would have thought "early 50's" was too young for this to be the reason. Check the diet once again as Veganism is a tricky one to follow and it is possible that you are missing something and you may need a supplement Humidity can effect joints as can cold, perhaps try a heating embrocation but keep away from soft tissue. Stretching would help as would a soak in the bath and massage.

ayceejay

Guru
You don't say what else you do besides ride a bike. If you are or were a professional sports player or dancer - that is someone who uses their body a lot - in extreme conditions this could be the cause

Top Bottom