For us "more mature" riders.... aches and pains, what do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
is "an almost non-stop low level muscle aching and stiff joints" really usual for over-50s? :sad:
Another no from me (50+) with an active job, cycling an average 50 miles a week.
Some arthritis too :sad:
Of course after a hilly 60 miles my legs will be jelly like, but I'm normally ok next day.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm in my mid sixties and in good shape, if I get any aches or pains its usually my back, I went to my doctor and he said I'd worn my back out and prescribed painkillers.

Roxy641

No major problems (yet), but when I've had a particuarly difficult ride, a nice warm shower sooths my back and then have a early night.
Usually fine after that.

Katherine

Guru
I'm also in my mid fifties. And yes, there are more aches and pains, more post ride stiffness and recovery time. I've also done more miles in the last 4 years than in the rest of my life put together.

Things that I've learnt to do.

Take glucosamine.
Go to Pilates.
Alter your position on the bike from time to time.
Pre and post ride stretches have become absolutely crucial.. Even a few neck rolls and hip flexer stretches on long rides when I stop for fuel and comfort breaks.

edit. Your point about being a vegan makes it extremely important that you have enough protein after your rides as it is important in muscle recovery.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Most people wouldn't recognise me now. I did a lot of damage to my back, neck and shoulders after years of a very physical job. I had to visit a chiropractor twice a week just to try and get through the week. It became obvious, after 2 years of treatment that it wasn't going to get any better. I changed jobs, and now the heaviest thing I lift is my dinner. I was still suffering a bit of pain, and could be very stiff. A friend recommended Pilates, and at first I couldn't stop laughing but I was eventually convinced to give it a go. It's still early days, but a lot of the pain has gone. And the range of movement is increasing, all be it slightly. I would give it a try if I was you. It can make a huge difference.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the NHS! Best thing since sliced bread
I've heard that's good aswell.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can't recommend it highly enough. It should be on the NHS! Best thing since sliced bread
Like sliced bread, it makes me fart. :blush:

I take ibuprofen and carry on. I've read enough to think stretching before or after is a waste of time. Certainly doesn't help with my arthritic joints.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

I take ibuprofen and carry on. I've read enough to think stretching before or after is a waste of time. Certainly doesn't help with my arthritic joints.
I've got arthritis, taking that glutam(cannot spell it) helps a lot, but you need to wait a few months to notice a difference.
The stretching, if you can be bothered to do it, helps for stiff muscles.
Of course for a sedate poodle stretching is an overkill, but I find it helps after an intense ride, just 10 minutes of it is enough.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've got arthritis, taking that glutam(cannot spell it) helps a lot, but you need to wait a few months to notice a difference.
The stretching, if you can be bothered to do it, helps for stiff muscles.
Of course for a sedate poodle stretching is an overkill, but I find it helps after an intense ride, just 10 minutes of it is enough.
I take a cod liver oil and glucosamine capsule every day. Though there is little scientific / clinical evidence to support my doing so.
I used to stretch. Before and after. Made no difference. The thing I find most beneficial after an intense ride or run, is a much less intense ride or run.

Katherine

Guru

I have found doing some stretching of the hip flexers before a ride, even just a couple of times on each side stops me getting pains post ride. I was waking up in the night with hip pain.

Neck and shoulder rolls are helping with neck and shoulder stiffness during rides.

Farting (not me) in Pilates is just one of those things and is ignored by the rest of the class.

Pilates really helps with core strength and so gives you better support and posture including on the bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have found doing some stretching of the hip flexers before a ride, even just a couple of times on each side stops me getting pains post ride. I was waking up in the night with hip pain.

Neck and shoulder rolls are helping with neck and shoulder stiffness during rides.

Farting (not me) in Pilates is just one of those things and is ignored by the rest of the class.

Pilates really helps with core strength and so gives you better support and posture including on the bike.

Its the same with yoga, some stretches and poses force the air out.

Top Bottom