For us "more mature" riders.... aches and pains, what do you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
You don't say how many hours you are riding or how intense the rides are.
I'm a great believer in "less is more". My rides very rarely exceed 25 miles, but I am out 3 or 4 times a week, including the weekly club 10 and although the 10's have now finished for the year, will be keeping up the rides throughout the cold months. Still get aches & pains, but the shorter rides are easier to recover from. Wouldn't claim to be "mature", but certainly of a vintage age (66)

Glenn

Veteran
After short rides, less than 10 miles, I'm having problems with Peroneal and Achillies tendonitis in my right ankle, acupuncture which has been successful in the past has had no effect this time. I'm now waiting to see a physio to see what they have to say.

screenman

Legendary Member
Another 'no' from a mid-50s

Ask your GP for advice?

Another no from a 60 year old.

Having said that I used to kayak quite a bit, so yesterday I decided to for a 2 hour paddle with a local club. I know now that maybe a 35 year gap a tad long. The lower back pain was enough to stop me doing my norm morning swim, the Pimms seems to be making it better now though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Magnesium and Vitamin D helps. Ibuprofen is fine as long as you aren't taking loads, i.e. constantly. If after a ride, I'd suggest with a glass of milk to line the stomach.

I'm on co-codamol 2-3 times a day at present now I'm returning to a 'normal' routine. This is excluding any exercise at present as it's too much strain on my back.

Last edited:

doog

It's been suggested I take an anti-inflammatory -ibuprofen (https://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html) after a ride, but I'm reticent; I'm of the opinion that unless you really need some medication, you don't take it. While you could argue you need something if you have aches and pains, I'd also argue they aren't stopping me from doing stuff and are manageable. However, I would like to feel less achy!

I agree..dont fall into that trap. Since cutting Ibuprofen for back issues and general aches and pains my blood pressure has dropped and my Tinnitus has gone . Both crept up on me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm only early / mid 40s but I often get low level soreness and / or a bit of stiffness after exercise, especially if I do something every day or even every other day. Usually it's my legs and occasionally my lower back that feel it.
Like @Dayvo and @DaveReading I find a hot bath helps if the soreness is significant, and I also find a little rub with some Tiger Balm can help recovery. Nothing quite beats two days rest though, combine a bath, a rub down, and a good rest and you'll be feeling much better.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Just want to say thanks for all the replies; clearly some things to think about.

First, I've got to admit I'm notoriously unsupple, always have been, and I think I'm going to try stretching exercises..... I'm also notoriously bad about forgetting to do them though! Secondly, I used to do weights but got out of the habit, I think I need to get back in the habit.

Finally, it's interesting there are replies from my more mature brethren saying that non-stop soreness isn't the norm; I just figured it was. Next time I see my GP I'll ask.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oh how I wish I was a professional sports player, but alas no! ^_^

You don't say what else you do besides ride a bike. If you are or were a professional sports player or dancer - that is someone who uses their body a lot - in extreme conditions this could be the cause

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
That's a very good point -but this happens whether I'm cycling, running, or just generally doing something physical (helped my neighbours move over the weekend, and I can feel it!). My top culprit at the moment is flexibility -am really going to try more stretching exercises.

I was also googling this and I might also try cumin or ginger, just because it's a very easy thing to try.

It is worth looking at your bike setup as this can cause various aches and pains if not quite right.

snorri

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but just to lighten things up a little.
I give my 80+ year old cousin in Canada a call on the 'phone now and again and earlier this year was telling her I had to acknowledge that I am now in that age group where I find myself meeting friends and the topic of conversation invariably turns to health matters. Oh yes, she said but I have one group of friends where there is a strict rule of no more than two minutes for health matters then on to something lighter^_^.
Last time we chatted she was quoting some old geezer who had told her "This business of getting old, it's tough it's no job for softies:smile:.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I do some walking between rides – it helps to be on the edge of fine countryside. Gentle riding between the more arduous stuff also helps.
I should also pay tribute to my physio.

Top Bottom