Fording

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
From my files

Saturday 9th July 2021

Thornhill Beck Lane
Brighouse
Calderdale
View attachment 672280

View attachment 672281

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6836148
Scroll down to Brighouse; https://www.wetroads.co.uk/westyorkshire.htm
It gets a bit deeper, if you look at the 'mouse-over', I've never seen it like that

A week yesterday I was going home after working in Middlesbrough, as I came off the A1 onto the M62 near Pontefract my sat nav decided to reroute me as there was a big delay from Brighouse to the farm.

After turning off at the M606 junction, and much up and doing of backroads, I ended up turning off the road behind Hartshead Moor services and headed down towards that ford.

About half a mile from it a couple of cars came past after turning round and not risking it, cue lots of cars trying to turn round on that narrow lane, and another detour.

A week yesterday I was going home after working in Middlesbrough, as I came off the A1 onto the M62 near Pontefract my sat nav decided to reroute me as there was a big delay from Brighouse to the farm.

After turning off at the M606 junction, and much up and doing of backroads, I ended up turning off the road behind Hartshead Moor services and headed down towards that ford.

About half a mile from it a couple of cars came past after turning round and not risking it, cue lots of cars trying to turn round on that narrow lane, and another detour.
I've not seen it like the mouse-over, but have seen a few photographs of it like that

GilesM

Legendary Member
From my files

This is one of my favourite places

Dob Park Packhorse Bridge
Washburn Valley
(between Swinsty & Lindley Wood reservoirs)
North of Otley, near the bottom of 'Norwood Edge

Sometimes, if I knew I was going to be in the area, I'd take a flask, buy a sandwich & 'Yorkshire Post' in Otley, & park up by the bridge for a while
It's very, very unlikely that I'll even have the money (& even if I did!) get planning permission to build a house there

I doubt I'd take the Kodiaq down there, as the climb out to the north, is quite rocky, & steep (too much clutch-slip, when manoeuvring?)

Date not known. but I owned that 110Tdi, 1997 - 2001
View attachment 672289

August 2005
View attachment 672287

February 2006
View attachment 672288

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101295637-dob-park-bridge-norwood#.Y6iDs9XP3IU
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/106511

Junction to the north of the River Washburn; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7362232

Do you know if that is still a right of way for motor vehicles, if it is will try it in the Defender next time I'm in the area, looks good. I should really join GLASS to get the latest updates.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
@lazybloke
Re; Morecambe Bay
There's actually a 'B.O.A.T' over it, & I know someone who's driven over it, for a magazine article
Sadly, I've not seen him for a few years

https://wetroads.co.uk/tidal.htm
Scroll down to; Lancashire: Morecambe Bay Old Coach Road

It's 20 yrs since the mass drowning of cocklepickers, but when walking on the sands you can't help thinking of what they must have experienced. Running across must be weird.... Driving even weirder (but quicker).

Ripple

Veteran
Need an advice.

Drove through a very deep water on the road. Water covered about 100 yards of the road. Couldn't turn around or drive around it. Used 2nd gear. Halfway through it car started shaking. Badly. Managed to drive through though. At the traffic lights getting into 1st gear caused shaking but other gears were ok. Brakes were ok. Halfway through the town and 2 stops at traffic lights 1st gear came back to normal and all shaking stopped. Got home without any problems.

Question: should I worry about gearbox (manual)? Engine? Anything else? I searched for the info on the Internet but couldn't find anything that would exactly answer my question.

icowden

Veteran
Question: should I worry about gearbox (manual)? Engine? Anything else? I searched for the info on the Internet but couldn't find anything that would exactly answer my question.
Sounds like you might have taken a tiny bit of water into the engine but got away with it. If it's running normally now, you are probably OK. The gearbox wouldn't have anything to do with the shaking. Worst case is that you might get some unwanted rust in there if water did get in. Engines do have a safety mode built in that allows the expulsion of flooded oil and would likely do the same for water - the juddering is from the compression of the water and the misfiring of spark plugs I think.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Won't have done it any good. Possibly advise getting it checked out. Mate did that with his car. Similar issues but it was running after. Garage advised to trade it in ASAP before any big bills. Sounds like some hydrolocking going on. Won't have done the car any good.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It was more than likely an electronics fault from being wet, which has subsequently dried. If there are no lasting effects I’d say you got away with it. Ingesting water into the engine requires full submersion of the air inlet with enough to get past the air filter; a splash won’t do this. If this happened your engine is dead and would not recover.

Ripple

Veteran
Checked oil level, all good. Oil colour the same. Drove to the shop outside town. Car starts/drives/shifts gears/brakes as usual. Went during the afternoon peak time so loads of stop/start through the town. No problems with that.
Hopefully I got away with it. If something pops out later - well, things happen, it is what it is. Car is cheap anyway so won't be a massive loss. But still fingers crossed that nothing will happen.
But lesson learned. Btw that stretch of the road was fully closed 30 minutes after I drove through it. Next time it rains I will go another route. Twice longer but it's not known having lakes on it during/after rain.

Top Bottom