England : Lancashire Forest of Bowland ride from Whalley, Sat, 19th Sept 2015.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did choose the easy side of Longridge Fell! The south side is much harder, but the north side is more of a long drag up and down.

I just heard that Carrie and Kevin will be coming so that makes the rider list ...
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Carrie and Kevin (not on CycleChat)
More riders welcome!

I think we will stick to doing it on Saturday or it could get confusing! :laugh:
That's Brill, that Carrie and Kevin will be joining us.Saturday can't come quick enough - massively looking forward to it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like just the 4 of us then, but it should be good! The weather forecast keeps getting better. :smile:

Oh, and I just realised that I have washed my cycling kit but forgotten to put it on the line - I'd better do that now if I want it to dry without resorting to the tumble drier!

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you don't mind @SamR and my cycling buddy Alex and I will come along to say hello at Spring Wood at 10.00 and ride along with you for a few miles. Likely we will spilt though after a few miles to head off on another assignment. So that's seven to start with!

Hasta mañana!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have a pair of Planet X cycling gloves which I will bring along to donate to the first person who wants them whose hands are slightly smaller than mine. I've worn the gloves on just 2 or 3 rides because they are about half a size too small for me.

If you don't mind @SamR and my cycling buddy Alex and I will come along to say hello at Spring Wood at 10.00 and ride along with you for a few miles. Likely we will spilt though after a few miles to head off on another assignment. So that's seven to start with!

Hasta mañana!
Excellent - see y'all in the morning!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

We had a grand ride today ... I am feeling a bit tired so I won't post a report tonight but will try to do one in Your Ride Today, tomorrow!

Just for now though, here's a photo taken at the cafe on Beacon Fell, before we split into 2 groups ...

(L-R Littgull, Kevin**, Carrie**, Globalti, Alex**, SamR)
The Gang at Beacon Fell cafe.jpg

There was plenty of action on the ride today, but a wee bit too much action in the group shorts department in this photo, hence the imposition of a CycleChat Modesty Panel! :laugh:

** Not CycleChat members

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Littgull told me on the ride that he has no mechanical or technological aptitude. His gears didn't work properly so I helped him with those. He has now proved his lack of tech. credentials by accidentally hiding his words inside a quote of my ride report on 'Your ride today'! :laugh:

Here's what he posted ...

Littgull said:
Great report, Colin, you have captured the day and the enjoyment of it perfectly.

I had intended to post yesterday (Monday) as I was up very early on Sunday and not returning home until late due to visiting family. I did a daft and silly thing yesterday, with my glasses off as I had just got out of bed I went downstairs and crouched down to give our beloved dog a bit of affection. Unfortunately, she too was half asleep and stretched her front leg out accidentally catching my left eyeball with her paw. This resulted in mass discomfort to my left eye with it bloodshot and 'weeping' tear water non stop. Hence a visit to the doctor this morning and some cream prescribed. It has now slightly eased but I think it will be a day or two before it feels anything like back to normal.

Anyway, back to Saturday's stunning ride. Great route (thanks Colin), great company and great weather.The perfect combination for an unforgettable day. It was good to see Carrie again (what an intrepid cyclist she is!) and her friend Kevin. Also good to meet and ride with Globalti, [ColinJ: Don't forget son Sam!] and Alex for the first few miles.

Thanks also for Colin's mechanical skills coming to my aid in re-enabling my inner ring (if you'll pardon the expression). Alas, my 'technical' bike competencies are limited to removing and changing wheels/tubes, mending punctures and occasionally cleaning/oiling my bikes. The additional 12 mile loop was the 'icing on the cake'. Three considerable extra climbs to end with in a grand finale. the late afternoon/early evening September sun making the moors and beechwood look even more enchanting and exquisite than normal. We rejoiced in the splendour of it all and felt chuffed at our fitness levels in completing the climbs with relative ease.
Oh, shucks ... :blush:

I don't like the sound of that eye injury! It sounds like you were lucky to get away with just a scratch. I hope your eye is ok in a day or two!

I got a very similar injury once when I accidentally flicked a rusty nail up into my eye and was extremely lucky to have the point scratch the surface rather than puncturing the eyeball! I wore an eyepatch for a week and had to use an antibiotic cream to prevent infection.

Next ride from Hebden Bridge, a week on Sunday (04-10-15) - see THIS THREAD.

Top Bottom