Forgiving and forgetting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had an accident when a car pulled out in front of me. I went through the drivers window and suffered a few broken bones in my neck and a year off work. The police gave me the option of prosecuting her, but even though I had no recollection of the accident, I hoped it was just that, an accident. Despite her witness statement declaring I was going too fast, in the middle of the road and wearing black I hoped she would be more cautious in future and decided not to prosecute. The officer in charge of the case did meet her to tell her none of her points were valid, and she was the cause of the accident.
My girlfriend was less forgiving, but I prefer to think the best of a situation.
I hope the driver has learned to look before pulling out and gives vulnerable road users plenty of time and consideration.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Difficult to understand how a driver could miss that cyclist except that they were turning towards a low sun. In that case the driver should have been exercising greater caution, which he clearly was not.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That driver tried to turn into the road across the wrong side of the road they were turning into. Had the driver turned properly they would not have hit the cyclist. My guess is that something was coming from the right on main road and the driver cut the corner rather than waiting for a proper space.

Slick

Guru
Terrible piece of driving, I actually see it quite a bit on certain junctions by people not willing to wait as @YukonBoy describes.

I also think that you are quite right, I very much doubt I would ever be as forgiving, but hopefully I'll never have to find out.

keithmac

Guru
I've stopped in the middle of a road before now, waited for the car to pull out and then watch the horror as she finally clocked I was there!.

It was a big motorcycle with headlights on to get it in context.

Unfortunately nothing surprises me with standards of driving nowadays..

I'm waiting for the day someone knocks me off on a close overtake on the pushbike, had some very close passes but touch wood no contact yet..

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I wouldn't forgive because on my commute and some other rides, I regularly dread that circumstance of a driver cutting a corner.
There is a junction about half a mile from my house which is blind from one direction because of a high hedge of trees, banking and low shrubbery. Does that make any difference to the drivers who seemingly think country road = no traffic? To the majority (commuters mainly) I see using it, not one jot. IME it is the exceptional driver who doesn't cut across the left hand lane.

Milzy

Guru
I think you have made the wrong choice. I hope you got a decent pay out or did you refuse that?
If you think she’s learned her lesson it’s your choice I suppose.

Slioch

Guru
I wouldn't "forgive and forget" if someone did that to me.
That driver deserves to have the the full force of the law levied against them (providing Dibble can be bothered to do anything about it, of course).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wouldn't "forgive and forget" if someone did that to me.
That driver deserves to have the the full force of the law levied against them (providing Dibble can be bothered to do anything about it, of course).
Why not forget it? I don't know how badly hurt the guy was or what shape his bike was in, but if both were pretty much OK (give or take the odd ding), why take it any further? Do you want revenge? Do you want to deal with the police, lawyers and insurance companies? Life's too short to fester away with all that crap. Forget it.

Top Bottom