Fork, intergrated/non-intergrated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Okay, am stumped and getting more and more confused, but am sure the anwser is simple, if someone can help please. Hope I make sense.

I need to change the forks on my hack bike. I want carbon ones. The headset is 1 1/8 and non-intergrated. I also want to change headset too. However, when comparing the forks from my proper bike, which has a 1 1/8 intergrated (hidden) headset, it doesnt sit right on the crown.

Reading a bit, but getting bogged down and confused, do I need non-intergated forks? And if so, where from, as I cant find any anywhere.

Or will a new non-intergrated headset negate this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

I think forks are forks - it's just the crown and the rest of the headset that can vary.

There are basically two types of crown - one that takes caged bearings(and so has a concave groove) and the other type that matches sealed bearings (and so has an angled champher). What have you got?

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Thanks for replying.

Yes, it seems that way to me too...

I really I need to concentrate on the headset itself to make sure it matches..?

The current headset is concaved with caged bearings and matches the current forks, but as its all change, I think with your help I think ive sussed it, thanks!

OP
OP
Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Sure is, expecially when ones thinking head is not thinking right...

I forgot theres a bottom bit to the headset that sits on top of the crown, then the bearings, not directly the bearings..

But that finder is brilliant, many thanks!

Top Bottom