Fork stiffness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

What is it that contributes to the stiffness of a fork?

Is it the legs, crown or steerer tube?

I just got a carbon fork with carbon steerer tube and the legs are noticeably bendy. I can squeeze them together in one hand.

Presumably a wheel is between the legs makes it stiffer ..ahem.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ahem...

If you are interested you can probably compare the stiffness of your fork with those in this test.

OP
OP
E

earth

Ahem...

If you are interested you can probably compare the stiffness of your fork with those in this test.

The article poses an interesting theory that, without a counter argument, sounds reasonable. Longitudinal deflect would effect fork rake which directly effects steering.

The fork I bought recently has aero legs which are deep but narrow so I would expect the longitudinally stiff and it is certainly laterally flexible.

It's on a project bike which isn't finished yet so I have not been able to ride it and I will not be able to compare the ride to a previous one on the same bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The article poses an interesting theory that, without a counter argument, sounds reasonable. Longitudinal deflect would effect fork rake which directly effects steering.

The fork I bought recently has aero legs which are deep but narrow so I would expect the longitudinally stiff and it is certainly laterally flexible.

It's on a project bike which isn't finished yet so I have not been able to ride it and I will not be able to compare the ride to a previous one on the same bike.

Squeezing the legs together is not really represenative of stiffness with a wheel hub in the drop outs.

Top Bottom