Forks!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello again,
I would like to upgrade the forks on my mountain bike. I love forks that are very soft and have a substantial amount of travel.
What would you guys recommend, I have a budget of about £40-£60.
Thanks.

You want a long-travel fork with adjustable spring rate, for 60 quid?

All you will get for that price is either absolute junk or a very, very worn second-hand one.

BTW - Fork. Singular.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Have a look online at the prices a reasonable quality new suspension fork goes for - if you see something that looks like a cheap bargain, google for some reviews and the chances are it will be a bit of a turkey. It may make you rethink whether a new fork is really worth the money! Unless your current forks are bad to the point of limiting your riding I'd be tempted to stick with what you have for a while, and in the meantime save up and do some research on what to upgrade to.

Ifyou buy 2nd hand, factor in the cost of a service kit (if you're able to do it yourself) or make sure the forks are in good condition (tricky if buying on ebay). Unless you're spending a fair bit I'd say the cost of sending it off for a service is uneconomical. If I wanted to buy a sensibly priced set of forks I'd personally look for an old set of Marzocchi bombers and service them myself, don't know if anyone else has any good suggestions of what else to look out for?

Jody

Stubborn git
What travel forks are on the current bike, what's the maximum you are going to spend and what do you feel your current forks aren't doing? You will probably get something half decent for 150ish but you need to know steerer size, if straight or tapered, front axle normal quick release or 9mm/15mm etc

Has anyone thought of the fact that putting a long-travel fork on a bike not intended for it is both silly and dangerous?
Does the bike have enough head tube gusset strength?
Will steering be affected?
Why ask here for prices when you can use Google?

Fork. Singular.

Jody

Stubborn git
Of course you can increase the travel without really upsetting geometry and safety. How much depends on what is already on there and what increase you are looking at.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

You want a long-travel fork with adjustable spring rate, for 60 quid?

All you will get for that price is either absolute junk or a very, very worn second-hand one.

BTW - Fork. Singular.
Why do you keep saying fork - singular.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Of course you can increase the travel without really upsetting geometry and safety. How much depends on what is already on there and what increase you are looking at.
I believe it's got about 100 mm of travel and I'm looking for something with about 120mm
Thanks.

Cubist

Still wavin'
With your budget a decent fork is a bit " moon on a stick" I'm afraid. The Suntour XCT fork on your bike is notoriously budget end of the spectrum. They don't damp well, and you'll be lucky to get full travel out of it anyway. A decent fork is a worthy upgrade, but you'll need to be prepared to spend a bit more to get what you want. You also need to know what you've got on it at the moment. There are many variables, such as steerer length, length of travel, axle standard, steerer diameter etc etc. The frame looks as if it has a straight 1 1/8" steerer and 9mm qr axles, so that's a start.

You need to match travel front and rear, although a 120mm travel fork will fit, the it will alter geometry and the handling of the bike. Be careful you don't void any frame warranties. It could theoretically turn it into a pig of a climber, whilst improving downhill.

How squishy a fork is depends on the spring. You could buy a quality coiler that will be better than a crap air sprung fork, but Suntour do the Raidon air fork which isn't quite double your budget new. They review well.

Top Bottom