Formal letter to the 'British Institution for the Timing and Controlling of Headwinds' (BITCH)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
To whom it may concern,

It has been brought to my attention that you are the organisational body responsible for the regulation and supervision of wind direction around the British Isles, and as such, I wish to issue a formal complaint with regards to the numerous incidences of bullying, and for the unfair treatment that you have certainly directed towards me as an individual for 4 years, and possibly to the entire community of cyclists as a whole over the past 200 years.

I enjoy commuting to work on a bicycle for numerous reasons. It is, however, less enjoyable when it is into the face of a blustery gale, such as the one I experienced this morning… and yesterday morning… and pretty much every morning.

Now cycling is an activity that literally has its ups and downs. If you start and finish at the same location, you will, by very definition have descended just as many feet as you have climbed. Cycling is fair in that regard. For every gruelling mile you put in uphill, you get rewarded with a glorious freewheel downwards. By this token and the very questionable ‘law of averages’, for every headwind that I cycle into, surely; I repeat, SURELY… I should be rewarded with at least a modest breath of tailwind, aiding me onwards to my destination?

Well that’s not quite how it works is it B.I.T.C.H? Because after struggling into a headwind in the morning, I mount my steed at five minutes past five o’clock with the pain of the morning commute pushed firmly to the back of my mind, optimism overflowing, because I’m now owed one. Like the feeling at the plateau pinnacle of a climb, when your thighs stop burning and you know that the rush of the descent is imminent, I kick off from my place of work only to find to my horror, that not only has the wind changed direction, it has reversed and is once again blowing into my face. I’ve climbed the metaphorical mountain, rounded the bend at the top, only to discover that the road continues up, not down.

Head down… grind it home.

Ever the optimist, it would be possible to view the struggle of a commute with a rosy tint should my weekend and leisure riding benefit from your kindness. Alas, that would be just too kind wouldn’t it? As you are well aware, in lovely sunny, summery June I cycled with Mark to his stag do, from Merseyside to Cardiff. Now I’m not blaming you for the two visits from the puncture fairy less than 20 miles into the ride (I will be taking that issue up with her separately), but why… why oh why for 12 continuous hours, would you keep this gargantuan headwind blowing straight into our faces, when on a commuting day you enjoy changing it around so damn much? The Brecon Beacons are challenge enough on their own. Limiting our speed to 8mph on the way up is just rapacious. You knew we were carrying our tents and sleeping bags as well as a few cans of Stella, our finest brogues, a wedding dress and handcuffs. Have you no compassion?

I know what you’re going to say. In the summer months you have often advertised a south to north prevailing wind, and we were always taking a risk by journeying south. So can you then explain why during my End to End ride in June 2009 I was subjected to 9 consecutive days of block headwind when travelling from Land’s End to John O’Groats?

I am not sure what I or we have done to upset you. Maybe you drive to work in a white van and have to sit in queues and jams that we can safely sail past? Perhaps you enjoy driving your sports car down country lanes at the weekend and get held up by us in our club packs taking up almost a whole lane and travelling much slower than you want to go? – I mean the cheek of it! We don’t even pay road tax (sic). Maybe your ex-wife ran away with a cyclist because despite having shaved girly legs, his stamina in the bedroom far outlasted yours, and the Lycra he wore was to serve more purpose than just to hold in his gut to make putting his pants on easier?

Either way, it would be most appreciated if you could please review your policies on this matter and that we could come to some sort of agreement that is fair to us all. I’m not asking for no headwinds or no wind at all… just a more even distribution for the sake my own sanity.

Yours faithfully,

400bhp

Guru
Brilliant post :thumbsup:

mattobrien

Guru
It's been that kind of year...

Roll on autumn, or what it will be know from hence forth, the dry season (and hopefully with an even distribution of wind)

al78

Guru
To whom it may concern,

It has been brought to my attention that you are the organisational body responsible for the regulation and supervision of wind direction around the British Isles, and as such, I wish to issue a formal complaint with regards to the numerous incidences of bullying, and for the unfair treatment that you have certainly directed towards me as an individual for 4 years, and possibly to the entire community of cyclists as a whole over the past 200 years.

I enjoy commuting to work on a bicycle for numerous reasons. It is, however, less enjoyable when it is into the face of a blustery gale, such as the one I experienced this morning… and yesterday morning… and pretty much every morning.

Now cycling is an activity that literally has its ups and downs. If you start and finish at the same location, you will, by very definition have descended just as many feet as you have climbed. Cycling is fair in that regard. For every gruelling mile you put in uphill, you get rewarded with a glorious freewheel downwards. By this token and the very questionable ‘law of averages’, for every headwind that I cycle into, surely; I repeat, SURELY… I should be rewarded with at least a modest breath of tailwind, aiding me onwards to my destination?

Well that’s not quite how it works is it B.I.T.C.H? Because after struggling into a headwind in the morning, I mount my steed at five minutes past five o’clock with the pain of the morning commute pushed firmly to the back of my mind, optimism overflowing, because I’m now owed one. Like the feeling at the plateau pinnacle of a climb, when your thighs stop burning and you know that the rush of the descent is imminent, I kick off from my place of work only to find to my horror, that not only has the wind changed direction, it has reversed and is once again blowing into my face. I’ve climbed the metaphorical mountain, rounded the bend at the top, only to discover that the road continues up, not down.

Head down… grind it home.

Ever the optimist, it would be possible to view the struggle of a commute with a rosy tint should my weekend and leisure riding benefit from your kindness. Alas, that would be just too kind wouldn’t it? As you are well aware, in lovely sunny, summery June I cycled with Mark to his stag do, from Merseyside to Cardiff. Now I’m not blaming you for the two visits from the puncture fairy less than 20 miles into the ride (I will be taking that issue up with her separately), but why… why oh why for 12 continuous hours, would you keep this gargantuan headwind blowing straight into our faces, when on a commuting day you enjoy changing it around so damn much? The Brecon Beacons are challenge enough on their own. Limiting our speed to 8mph on the way up is just rapacious. You knew we were carrying our tents and sleeping bags as well as a few cans of Stella, our finest brogues, a wedding dress and handcuffs. Have you no compassion?

I know what you’re going to say. In the summer months you have often advertised a south to north prevailing wind, and we were always taking a risk by journeying south. So can you then explain why during my End to End ride in June 2009 I was subjected to 9 consecutive days of block headwind when travelling from Land’s End to John O’Groats?

I am not sure what I or we have done to upset you. Maybe you drive to work in a white van and have to sit in queues and jams that we can safely sail past? Perhaps you enjoy driving your sports car down country lanes at the weekend and get held up by us in our club packs taking up almost a whole lane and travelling much slower than you want to go? – I mean the cheek of it! We don’t even pay road tax (sic). Maybe your ex-wife ran away with a cyclist because despite having shaved girly legs, his stamina in the bedroom far outlasted yours, and the Lycra he wore was to serve more purpose than just to hold in his gut to make putting his pants on easier?

Either way, it would be most appreciated if you could please review your policies on this matter and that we could come to some sort of agreement that is fair to us all. I’m not asking for no headwinds or no wind at all… just a more even distribution for the sake my own sanity.

Yours faithfully,

Dear Lejogger

We apologize for the inconvenient headwinds you have been experiencing. This is due to the wrong type of jet stream over the Atlantic. Normal service will be resumed as soon as we can replace the Arctic sea ice.

Yours sincerely

B.I.T.C.H

Chrisc

Guru
Can I have the address for BITCH please? The more people who write to complain the better chance we have of getting the situation rectified.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Have you looked on www.bitch.com? (Although I wouldn't recommend trying this at work.)

P.S. I've not looked yet myself.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought it was British Organisation for the Timing and Controlling of Headwinds - BOTCH?

Or perhaps British Union... BUTCH.

buddha

Veteran
I think you will find that times have moved on, as the "British Institution for the Timing and Controlling of Headwinds" has merged with the more regionalised "Association for the Regulation Sidewinds in Englandshire". They are now known as:
'British Institution for the Timing and Controlling of Headwinds and English Sidewinds'

Licramite

Über Member
I too wonder how it can be possible to hit a head wind going out on a route, and coming back on the same route !.
I get it all the time up and down the wyle valley , and I,ve never had a tail wind their or back.

its truely weired,

but I have discovered if I set a fan up behind me on my indoor exercise bike I can definately punch up the miles on it with a fantastic tail wind.

byegad

Legendary Member
Dear B.I.T.C.H.,
I'm pleased to sat that after a lifetime of suffering I have had no issues with you since 2005. That's when I bought a recumbent and fitted a Streamer Fairing. Blow wind and crack your cheeks, 'cos I Don't Care!

Yours a Recumbent rider.

Davehateshills

Just wanted to report the BITCH today for making my ride much harder then it should have been. If anyone has contact with BITCH over the next few days then you will know what I mean. It would be great if the BITCH could move back to Scotland where the BITCH normally resides.:music:

Top Bottom