Formula 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I think perhaps they should now have the qualifying laps on Saturday, and call that the result of the race. A bit like a time trial in cycling.

Then, the next day, just have a nice seventy-lap procession, with all the cars a set distance apart, finishing in the order they qualified the day before, drivers waving to the crowd.

Then, put the wreath on the drivers on the podium, have the ladies kiss them, play the national anthem, spray the champers, and go home.

Yes, this is a comment on the Verstappen/LeClerc thing. It's not a sport any more, it's car pointing. IMO, of course.

Slick

Guru
I think your right. It hasn't been the same for years when the likes of Stewart, Lauda, Prost and Senna were battling it out. Of course the danger was ever present so in that respect it is now much better.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think perhaps they should now have the qualifying laps on Saturday, and call that the result of the race. A bit like a time trial in cycling.

Then, the next day, just have a nice seventy-lap procession, with all the cars a set distance apart, finishing in the order they qualified the day before, drivers waving to the crowd.

Then, put the wreath on the drivers on the podium, have the ladies kiss them, play the national anthem, spray the champers, and go home.

Yes, this is a comment on the Verstappen/LeClerc thing. It's not a sport any more, it's car pointing. IMO, of course.

You could try Moto GP
Proper racing

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I think your right. It hasn't been the same for years when the likes of Stewart, Lauda, Prost and Senna were battling it out. Of course the danger was ever present so in that respect it is now much better.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see drivers die.

But I would like to see drivers race, and I'm sure it's what they want, too.

Slick

Guru
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see drivers die.

But I would like to see drivers race, and I'm sure it's what they want, too.
I didn't mean to imply you did, I just meant the halcyon days of actually racing coincided with the most danger.

I don't watch it anymore, but would if they did actually race.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Result upheld. Verstappen wins.

That's something, I suppose, but it's taken a three hour steward's inquiry. I bet two hours of that was politics, and "the optics of the sport".

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Stopped watching years ago - used to love it.

Top Bottom