'Formula One-Drive to Survive'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Watching this on Netflix as a quite like F1, but talk about stage managed with a few swear words thrown in. Every word weighted down by sponsorship pressure, its a lame advertising vehicle (pardon the pun) for the sport and overly stylised. I bet the team bosses had a big hand in editing it before it was released.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I used to love F1 - over the last 5-6 years it has become as dull as dishwater.

D

Deleted member 26715

Season 1 or 2? I watched Season 1 last year, thoroughly enjoyed it, watched episode 1 of Season 2 last night, again enjoyed it, but it takes all sorts.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I may have to modify my initial assessment, and now on episode 4 Season 2. Its getting better but bloody hell there are some big egos in F1.

If drivers do show any emotion, it is not visible to anyone. Mostly I suspect they are scheming how to beat their team mates at any cost. It is probably the most psychopathic of all sports. In cycling, you cant win unless you learn to make alliances often with your rivals.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The staged bits were cringey; Lewis Hamilton with his pieces to camera "I always knew I would achieve extraordinary things in my life, that's who I am". Oh fark off you pretentious twat but on the other hand, his qualifying lap when suffering with flu was astonishing.

I don't like the technique of asking someone a question, letting them answer then keeping the camera on them during the silence. It's designed to make people look stupid and Netflix used it a lot.

I think I preferred Season 1 where there was no Ferrari or Mercedes. The ongoing dramas and rivalries of the midfield were far more interesting.

D

Deleted member 26715

The staged bits were cringey; Lewis Hamilton with his pieces to camera "I always knew I would achieve extraordinary things in my life, that's who I am". Oh fark off you pretentious twat but on the other hand,
You say that, but any sportsperson of that level has got to have their own self belief otherwise they wouldn't get there, me I couldn't give a fudge whether I win, it is the fun of taking part, that's why I'm crap at everything.

I think I preferred Season 1 where there was no Ferrari or Mercedes. The ongoing dramas and rivalries of the midfield were far more interesting.
It shows what effect it must have had, they both turned down the invitation to be included in S1, but bith think it necessary to get involved in S2?

I also used to love it and watched it religiously. However, the rot set in far earlier than that, IMO.

The decline started when Murray Walker retired, a lot of the entertainment was down to his contagious enthusiasm and his Murrayisms.

The 2004 season ended it for me, with total Ferrari dominance, very little excitement, zero unpredictability. (That was the season when Schumi and Barrichello orchestrated photo finishes). I resented the 8+ hours a month I was spending watching it.

Why would anyone watch unlikeable primadonna drivers driving to tolerances of thousandths of a second, on identikit circuits that have been designed mostly by one guy? Where's your modern-day equivalent of the old Hockenheimring where teams have to compromise between handling and top speed? Where's your Schumacher limping into the pits on 3 wheels to punch Coulthard?

I'm guessing I'm unlikely to get anything out of this documentary. :biggrin:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I also used to love it and watched it religiously. However, the rot set in far earlier than that, IMO.

The decline started when Murray Walker retired, a lot of the entertainment was down to his contagious enthusiasm and his Murrayisms.

The 2004 season ended it for me, with total Ferrari dominance, very little excitement, zero unpredictability. (That was the season when Schumi and Barrichello orchestrated photo finishes). I resented the 8+ hours a month I was spending watching it.

Why would anyone watch unlikeable primadonna drivers driving to tolerances of thousandths of a second, on identikit circuits that have been designed mostly by one guy? Where's your modern-day equivalent of the old Hockenheimring where teams have to compromise between handling and top speed? Where's your Schumacher limping into the pits on 3 wheels to punch Coulthard?

I'm guessing I'm unlikely to get anything out of this documentary. :biggrin:

I agree with all of that :okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

Murray was the ultimate, but David Croft & Martin Brundle make a very good pairing

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
The staged bits were cringey; Lewis Hamilton with his pieces to camera "I always knew I would achieve extraordinary things in my life, that's who I am". Oh fark off you pretentious twat but on the other hand, his qualifying lap when suffering with flu was astonishing.

I don't like the technique of asking someone a question, letting them answer then keeping the camera on them during the silence. It's designed to make people look stupid and Netflix used it a lot.

The bits with Geri Halliwell and Christian Horner climbing into private jets made me barf.
I will probably watch the upcoming F1 season with a whole new perspective, but can't wait for the first robotic, "you-are-the-man-Lewis! Get-in-there-mate! [Cringe]

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
F1 seems to lend itself to periods of single team domination, which is a shame for the racing spectacle. Mainly due to the rule changes and who adapts best.

Since 1984 there has been the McLaren winning 7 out of 8 years. Then Williams and Benetton shared it for 6 seasons. Then you’ve had 5 years of a Ferrari, 4 years of Red bull and now 6 years of Mercs. With a couple of odd seasons thrown in.

It’s been this way for years. Coupled with the ever increasing reliability of the cars means that surprises rarely happen.

Top Bottom