Forty years ago today since Elvis died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Funny enough my daughter just asked me if I could remember where I was when I heard Elvis had died and I realised I could.
I had just got home from my brothers and saw a neighbours daughter in the garden screaming and crying. I thought one of her parents had died or something, but when went over to see if I could do anything her mum came out and told me the news.

I can remember where i was. I was waiting outside a pub,for a lift to work. When i got in the car it came on the radio that he'd died. I remember al(not many in those days)the radio stations either talking about him or playing his music all day long, and beyond. By coincidence the same bloke who gave me a lift to work that day now lives below me, in this building....hows about that?!:okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We have an 'Indian Elvis' tribute act in our area who sometimes performs at the local curry house.

I don't particularly like Elvis but may have to go and watch sometime, just out of morbid curiosity.

Graham
I've heard of him before. I think he's called Patelvis Presley. That's serious by the way.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
His colon was double the normal size and contained (I just googled it) stool that was 4-5 months old. God, it must have been horrible to be him.

And there was i worrying (after taking co-codomol) that i hadn't been for 12 hours.:unsure: This reminds me of Dr Dunkley at the "mental hospital" i worked at in the early 80's. He was an eccentric type (he kept body parts in jars in his flat as ornaments) who never took his filthy demob coat off when seeing to his patients. One day i had to assist him in "unblocking" a patient's back passage. He just stuck his hand up and pulled out big lumps of you know what. I think he just managed to rinse his hands afterwards.:rolleyes: xx( No vinyl gloves or anti - bac gel in those days.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was getting ready for school when my Mum turned on the tv and just sat crying ..
Not really a fan but I did like King Creole and The Ghetto

D

Deleted member 26715

The Ghetto
My all time favourite of his, the other is suspicious minds, but I now prefer the FYC version

delb0y

Legendary Member
I was camping with a friend in a tiny place called Minety, in the Cotswolds when we heard the news. Spookily enough I cycled there just a few weeks ago but the place has changed beyond all recognition. Only last night I read the section in one of John Lennon's biographies about the moment when Elvis met the Beatles. Apparently Elvis wasn't interested at all - he just sat there watching the TV and the meeting was only saved because the Beatles got on famously with Colonel Tom Parker.

Loads of great songs, but that first album is wonderful throughout. Pure rockabilly dynamite, but I also have a fondness for The Promised Land.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
A bit weird that Elvis died at 42. Always thought of him as dying old, fat and vomiting on a toilet, nothing like me really. Erm...

I remember when he died and thought of him as old too, this year I'll be 52 and don't even own a white jump suit

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I was camping with a friend in a tiny place called Minety, in the Cotswolds when we heard the news. Spookily enough I cycled there just a few weeks ago but the place has changed beyond all recognition. Only last night I read the section in one of John Lennon's biographies about the moment when Elvis met the Beatles. Apparently Elvis wasn't interested at all - he just sat there watching the TV and the meeting was only saved because the Beatles got on famously with Colonel Tom Parker.

Loads of great songs, but that first album is wonderful throughout. Pure rockabilly dynamite, but I also have a fondness for The Promised Land.

He (Lennon) was probably a bit out of it and doesn't remember it too well. The way I've heard it is that it was all a bit quiet after the introductions, I think the Beatles were a bit a star struck, Elvis joked if you're just going to stare at me I'm going to bed, they all laughed and the ice was broken, so to speak. Lennon also said they jammed with Elvis but the other Beatles said that didn't happen.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Old fat Elvis in a hideous white spangly outfit tribute, or a young skinny one?
Think I can guess which one.....
father-ted-s1_625x352.jpg

Top Bottom