Forty years ago today since Elvis died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4919670, member: 45"]The Beatles were rubbish as well, the nobbers.[/QUOTE]

Apart from George Harrison, who had - by the standards of the band - a halfway decent mix of talent, character and ego. Ringo simply didn't care, and was quite obviously happy just to be in the gravy train.

AndyMack

I remember coming in from school for my lunch and my mum and two older cousins Mary and Alexis crying their eyes out.
I had to make my own lunch!
Toast and banana...
It's funny the things you remember!

pplpilot

Guru
I just can see or hear him without picturing every Elvis impersonator there is. He really did become a parody of himself. Having said that Ghetto and suspicious minds are good.

Hardrock93

Guru
Radio 2 this morning. DJ filling in for Ken Bruce reads out a message from a listener, 'I had just turned 80 when Elvis died...'

(After musing on that, they decided the listener had actually said 8 or 18).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Funny enough my daughter just asked me if I could remember where I was when I heard Elvis had died and I realised I could.
I had just got home from my brothers and saw a neighbours daughter in the garden screaming and crying. I thought one of her parents had died or something, but when went over to see if I could do anything her mum came out and told me the news.
I was waiting in casualty, with a smashed collar bone after crashing off a horse at quite a bit of speed.
My mother heard it on the radio speaker, they had in there, and burst out crying and got a ton of attention

Wow, so turns out I also remember what I was doing that day. I remember discussing it with my friends, when we went to see "All This And World War II"** and the Regents Theatre in Collins Street followed by lunch at Spaghetti Theatre. Must have been the first day of the "September" holidays, and presumably we heard on the news radio that morning. Everyone was interested, but no one really cared. I don't know anyone who cried.

**look it up It's surreal. I can't imagine why we paid to see it.

The only thing I recall is Angela Rippon , reading the news, refusing to announce that " The King is Dead" and changing it to "E P, known as the King of Rock and Roll, is dead".

Top Bottom