Forum ride: 100+ km in Cheshire. [DATE CHANGE] Sat, 1st July, 2023. Details to follow...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've had the same cycling shoes since 2012. That's how little cycling I do these days :tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember you buying new cycling shoes not so long ago. Maybe 3-4 years ago.

I remember commenting because they were very brightly coloured.
You've got a good memory!

They were probably my previous pair of Shimano shoes. They are still going strong, but I have left them at my sister's house in Devon. I am building up a stash of cycling (and other) stuff down there so I can travel there and back with only one rucksack to carry.

Those shoes are a light grey with blue detailing***. I would have preferred black but they cost £15 more and I had to watch my spending more then.

Scuffed cycling shoes.jpg

*** Light grey immediately after cleaning them! Unfortunately, grey really shows the dirt. I ride heels-in so the inside edge of each shoe sometimes rubs on its corresponding crank so the shoes end up looking like they do in that photo.

GuyBoden

Guru
You've got a good memory!

They were probably my previous pair of Shimano shoes. They are still going strong, but I have left them at my sister's house in Devon. I am building up a stash of cycling (and other) stuff down there so I can travel there and back with only one rucksack to carry.

Those shoes are a light grey with blue detailing***. I would have preferred black but they cost £15 more and I had to watch my spending more then.

View attachment 695713

*** Light grey immediately after cleaning them! Unfortunately, grey really shows the dirt. I ride heels-in so the inside edge of each shoe sometimes rubs on its corresponding crank so the shoes end up looking like they do in that photo.

About 2-3 years ago, I got a pair of Muddy Fox cycling shoes from Sports Direct for about £20 in their sale, I'm amazed that they have not fallen apart. :laugh:

Muddy Fox Shoes.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

GuyBoden

Guru
Do we have a GPS route by any chance @ColinJ ?

I can't get lost in Cheshire. Unless, there's a new bit I've missed.

@ColinJ I can't see there being any problem with the pace, I'm just even slower than ever......

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'll bring a tow rope in case. :tongue:
I was looking at cycle tow rope videos the other day. I have a friend who one day will probably buy an e-bike but she would be extremely worried about running out of battery with a big hill to get over to get back. I thought that an emergency tow rope could be a good idea for that scenario!

Do we have a GPS route by any chance @ColinJ ?
I was about to make my usual comment, but once again I have forgotten to update the first post in a forum ride thread... :whistle:

Hmm... I started editing that without saving this post and my changes were lost! I'll post this then edit the first post.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I was looking at cycle tow rope videos the other day. I have a friend who one day will probably buy an e-bike but she would be extremely worried about running out of battery with a big hill to get over to get back. I thought that an emergency tow rope could be a good idea for that scenario!

I was about to make my usual comment, but once again I have forgotten to update the first post in a forum ride thread... :whistle:

Hmm... I started editing that without saving this post and my changes were lost! I'll post this then edit the first post.

Big battery Colin. Mine is 48v 20ah and good for 60 miles easily. That's with screwing the life out of it.
Currently it's on mile no 66 from full charge.
I've seen batteries with 72v and 25ah. There's probably bigger. The volts would have to match the motor though. I think mine can can go to 52v. Bloody expensive though.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I will carry 24p in change just in case! :laugh:

There seems to be upheaval on local trains this summer. I am finding rail replacement buses on several of the journeys that I was planning.

Even trains that are supposed to run suddenly get cancelled. Hopefully, that will not happen.

Anyway... I have been busy planning a new route from Glazebrook. I wanted it to come in at just over 100 km and the start from and finish to Glazebrook account for about 13 km of that.

My new loop is around 89 km, taking in lots of roads that we have used in previous editions of the Cheshire ride, but also a few that I haven't ridden before. I used cycle.travel to suggest roads and nudged it in the directions that I wanted using via points.

Cycle.travel unusually suggested what looked on my digital OS maps to be a very busy A-road so I investigated... My maps are out of date! The old A556 from Bucklow Hill through Mere to Over Tabley is now just Chester Rd, and a new A556 is taking a lot of the traffic instead. What's more, there is what appears to be a very good cycle path beside Chester Rd now if what traffic there is starts to bother us.

We will skirt round the western fringes of Knutsford, then pass through Lower Peover, Moulton, Whitegate, Little Budworth on the way to Cotebrook.

It had been my intention to go through Kelsall in search of a pub or cafe for lunch, but I have discovered that Kelsall Cycles is now up on the ridge above the village, and it has a cafe. I will give them a ring and see whether we might want to call in there.

After that... Delamere Forest, Acton Bridge, Comberbach, Lymm, and back to Glazebrook.

Sound good to y'all? :whistle:

You won’t need any funds for the bridge, it’s my local and they only charge motor vehicles. Word of warning though, the tarmac is in a terrible state ! Even driving over is a denture rattling experience with some nasty potholes and rough surfaces so be aware on bike tyres

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
That's a pity - pray for thunderstorms or train cancellations causing us to put the ride back... :okay:

We should be passing Oulton Park on the way to the cafe, around 12:45 - give us a wave if you spot us! :laugh:

I really enjoy your Cheshire ride but my little madam has become a petrol head and she can only get there if I’m a passenger

Top Bottom