Forum ride: 100+ km in Cheshire. [DATE CHANGE] Sat, 1st July, 2023. Details to follow...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The long-range forecasts are suggesting that it might be wet all day on 1st July. It is too early to be sure of what the weather will be like, but just in case... @GuyBoden and @Vantage - would you be free on the 8th if we had to postpone the ride?

My pal Bill is saying that he might join us. If he did I would get a lift to and from Glazebrook.

GuyBoden

Guru
The long-range forecasts are suggesting that it might be wet all day on 1st July. It is too early to be sure of what the weather will be like, but just in case... @GuyBoden and @Vantage - would you be free on the 8th if we had to postpone the ride?

My pal Bill is saying that he might join us. If he did I would get a lift to and from Glazebrook.

@ColinJ The weather forecast for Sat 1st July is changing all the time, but, yes, I can ride on Sat 8th July. :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I seem to be a day out... Final decision FRIDAY, but forecast improving all the time. Haven't yet heard back from pal Bill whether he is definitely coming.

DOESN’T ANYBODY ELSE FANCY JOINING US?!! :whistle:

Domus

Guru
Still in Grange, sorry. 😞

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm looking forward to the Cheshire ride tomorrow.

I live in South Warrington, so it's easier if I meetup at the bus stop on Mill lane, Heatley near the Green Dragon pub, I'll be there from 9:45. The route goes past the bus stop.

Bus Stop Heatley.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes - the forecast is ok so let's go ahead! The wind will be a bit of a pain until our cafe stop, but the second half should be fun with a good tailwind.

My pal Bill says that he has mended his (singlespeed!) bike so we will be driving over. We will park about a mile from the station and ride up there to meet @Vantage.

I live in South Warrington, so it's easier if I meetup at the bus stop on Mill lane, Heatley near the Green Dragon pub, I'll be there from 9:45. The route goes past the bus stop.

If the train is on time we should get to Heatley around 10:00. If there is a significant hold-up, I'll text you.

@Vantage - I don't seem to have a telephone number for you. (I'm assuming that you are NOT one of the 3 people in the UK who do not carry a mobile phone?! :whistle:) Either PM me a number OR post about any problems in the morning below. I'll check the thread if the train arrives without you! If you somehow couldn't catch the train (or it is cancelled at the last minute***!) we would have to set off without you because a 2 hour delay would be too long. Hopefully, that won't happen. If the train is delayed but you ARE on it, obviously we will wait!

*** If that happens, remember keep your ticket and claim compensation. I got a one way Northern rail pass last year after my train back from Clitheroe was cancelled. I could use that to go to just N of Newcastle, to Carlisle etc. I'm thinking of using it to get a long one-day ride from Todmorden and then riding home.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Vantage - just in case either your RETURN train is cancelled, or it is clear that you are going to miss it and would prefer to cycle back to Mcr Oxford Road station, I have attached the road/cycle path route that I was going to use if I were going back that way.

It uses the cycle path beside the A57 to get to Irlam, then crosses the ship canal at Irlam Locks. Then generally pretty quiet roads until you approach the city centre, and many of those roads have cycle lanes.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Hollins_Green_to_Mcr_Oxford_Rd.gpx
    28.6 KB · Views: 1

GuyBoden

Guru
@Vantage - just in case either your RETURN train is cancelled, or it is clear that you are going to miss it and would prefer to cycle back to Mcr Oxford Road station, I have attached the road/cycle path route that I was going to use if I were going back that way.

It uses the cycle path beside the A57 to get to Irlam, then crosses the ship canal at Irlam Locks. Then generally pretty quiet roads until you approach the city centre, and many of those roads have cycle lanes.

GPX viewer

Also, there is a path along the Bridgewater canal that goes to Deansgate, central Manchester, very near to the Oxford Road station, the path is nice tarmac from Dunham Massey. You need to keep on the left side path until Trafford, then cross over to the right side path at the old canal pedestrian bridge. That's what I use to cycle to Manchester City centre.

See map below:
Bridgewater Canal Path.png

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Depending on what juice is left in the battery I'll probably just ride back to Bolton.
Currently thinking of riding to glazebury from Bolton too...if it's dry. I hate friggin trains.

If you are doing that, text me, and we can all go straight to meet Guy at Heatley instead.

Pretty impressive to do about 160 km on one charge even if most of those kms are pretty flat!

Top Bottom