England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NOTE: *** Due to bad weather, the walk has been postponed until Sunday, 7th April ***

I'm not sure if I have mentioned it before (:whistle:), but I have been a bit poorly since last July. In fact, I haven't been able to ride a bike since then. It has been doing my head in, but at long last my legs are starting to get stronger and my heart and lungs are coming back to life.

I have had a few significant setbacks in my recovery so far and I could suffer another one, but let's be optimistic and plan to get together for another fun forum frolic! The bike will have to wait for now though. I want to make sure that I am well enough to cope with cycling over the big local hills before giving it a go. So, how about a nice walk instead?

I did a trial walk with Slower Than A Sluggish Sloth on Tuesday. We walked 7 miles, including a couple of hills. My legs felt stiff and sore afterwards, but I coped okay. (I needed a rest after the first hill, but was then able to carry on.)

So ... I'm wondering if any of you fancy coming over to Hebden Bridge and doing a 'little stroll' up to Stoodley Pike and back?

(Some pictures of the Pike, though we won't be going that way to get to it.)

stone-sheep-mankinholes-wide.jpg

stoodley-pike-from-langfield-common-2-wide.jpg

lisa-langfield-common-stoodley-pike.jpg

stoodley_pike_closeup.jpg

The route I have in mind is just under 7 miles in total. It's basically 3.5 miles up to the monument where we can stop to take some photos. For those of you who have never been up there - the views are great on a clear day. There is a spiral stone staircase inside the pike which leads up to a viewing platform. Bring torches - it is pitch black in there!

The walk back is much easier, being mainly level, or downhill.

Here's the walk profile:

Stoodley-Pike-walk-profile.gif

Conditions can be very changeable up there so you want good walking boots/shoes and a decent set of waterproofs.

I reckon it will take 3.5 - 4 hours (ish), depending on how decrepit I am on the day, and what the weather is like. Bring whatever food and drink you want to see you through to when we get back to Hebden Bridge where we can raid one of the many cafes.

(If we get an absolutely dire forecast for the day, we could always delay the walk by a week, but that would be decided in the days leading up to it.)

Does anybody fancy coming along? :hello:

Stoodley Strollers:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • potsy
  • PaulB + MrsB
  • Cubist? (If not working)
  • trio25? (If not up in the Lakes)
  • Arch and Night Train? (If Arch not at work do & NT up for it)
  • Globalti? (If not too hungover)
  • Steve H ('Pre-allocated')
Meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge at 09:45, and aim to set off at 10:00. If you are parking there, I suggest that you pay for 5 or 6 hours to include the cafe stop afterwards. The car park is inexpensive but the parking fines are not, and wardens are always on the prowl!

Map showing HB car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub/bar/restaurant on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall and the new council building. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park in good time because we won't be hanging about once all those on the official list have gathered!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yea I'll join you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Put me down as a possible colin, don't think i have ever walked that far before.
It always amazes me when people say that! When I told some people that I had been doing 6.5 mile walks to shop in Todmorden they assumed that I was fully recovered. In reality, I was probably 75% recovered in terms of likelihood of staying alive, but only 20% in terms of fitness! There are an awful lot of (almost) non-walkers about.

Cycling is a great form of exercise but it doesn't too much for bone health. In fact, doing big cycling distances without any load-bearing exercise can actually cause brittle bones to develop so including a decent walk a couple of times a week is a good idea. The drawback is that walking is time-intensive so it doesn't suit many busy lifestyles.

Anyway, it would be great to have you come along with us. If the distance really does put you and others off, then I could probably cut 2 miles off it by going out on a more direct route. The 9 mile route goes nearer to Todmorden than it needs to, then comes back up to the monument. I would be perfectly happy with 7 miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've had a rethink - I think 9 miles with a whacking big hill might be too much for some people, including the poorly me! I have therefore gone for a shorter option. The first post has been updated for the new 6.8 mile walk. (No excuses now, potsy!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Frat. There's a thing on at work I'd said I might be at that weekend. If the weather was good and NT up for it, I'd rather come on the walk. Might have a rethink. Will follow the thread...

Steve H

Large Member
Don't exhaust me the day before the Cheshire Cat.

Count me in. Welcome back to forum organising Colin. We've missed it!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Frat. There's a thing on at work I'd said I might be at that weekend. If the weather was good and NT up for it, I'd rather come on the walk. Might have a rethink. Will follow the thread...
It would be nice if you could both make it.
Have a good one, working Saturday :cry:
Oh well, I'll arrange my next walk (or bike ride?) to be on a Sunday.
Don't exhaust me the day before the Cheshire Cat.

Count me in. Welcome back to forum organising Colin. We've missed it!
Oh - the Cheshire Cat - I remembered to check for local audax rides that weekend but forgot to check the sportive calendar!

I'll add you to the list, Steve!
Son no. 1's birthday - so I'm not available as I'm doing the Cheshire Cat Long the next day.

Have a good walk. Stoodly Pike's got a good view at least.
Family come first. (I would have made it the weekend before, but my sisters will be up then. One has a bad knee which would never cope with 7 hilly miles!)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm going to say include me in...with a slight proviso I hope doesn't come to pass! There's no football that weekend for some reason (must be an international week) so I'm alright on that score. The only thing that would stop me is having to go to America, which I am trying to avoid. I don't even have a date for it yet but as part of my being licensed to do a certain professional service, I have to pass a test which we don't run in this country but my company do run in Arizona so I may need to go there for my licence but as yet, we have no date for this. It's unlikely to be that specific week but since it's possible, I'm going to do my best to be in Yarkshire for that walk unless I'm in Arizona. And I'm going to bring Mrs. B if that's alright? That way, we'll have our medical back-up!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As long as I'm not required for work that weekend I'd love to come along, count me in.
Fingers crossed!

I'm going to do my best to be in Yarkshire for that walk unless I'm in Arizona. And I'm going to bring Mrs. B if that's alright? That way, we'll have our medical back-up!
Great, though obviously, I am hoping that medical back-up will not be needed! :thumbsup:

trio25

Über Member
I'm a maybe, racing in the lakes the day after so we may go up on the sunday but if not I'll come over. Love the idea of going up the Pike, didn't even know it had stairs inside!

Top Bottom