England : West Yorkshire Forum WALK - Stoodley Pike from Hebden Bridge, now takes place Sun 7th Apr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a maybe, racing in the lakes the day after so we may go up on the sunday but if not I'll come over. Love the idea of going up the Pike, didn't even know it had stairs inside!
It would be nice to see you again if you can make it. I'll put you down as a maybe.

Oh, the views from the platform on the Pike are fantastic on a clear day! I intend to take enough photos to make a panoramic 360 degree view. The picture below taken from above Heptonstall quarry shows how prominent the Pike is, so you can imagine what you can see from up there.

stoodley-pike-from-heptonstall-in-winter-sunshine.jpg

Here are three of my Stoodley Pike tales:
  1. I once observed a perfect temperature inversion from the balcony viewing area of Stoodley Pike near Todmorden. When I stood upright, my eyes were 2 inches above an immaculate flat cloud surface. All I could see was a perfect blue sunny sky above and thick misty cloud below. When I bent my knees, I couldn't even see the ground below me!
  2. Watch out for the sheep!!! I was fumbling my way up the staircase without a torch once when I heard a funny rumbly clattering noise coming from above. Next thing, a flock of bloody sheep came charging down the stairs at me! I nearly got swept off my feet. When I got to the balcony, there was sheep s*** everywhere. They'd probably gone up there to shelter the previous evening and must have been too scared to come back down the stairs in the dark.
  3. I was at the entrance to the Pike's stone staircase and heard a commotion from inside. Eventually a woman came down and turned round, calling back up the steps into the darkness. Her husband was stuck halfway down with a very large, frightened dog which refused to budge. I went up with my torch and lit the way down for the cowardly canine! :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Watch out for the sheep!!! I was fumbling my way up the staircase without a torch once when I heard a funny rumbly clattering noise coming from above. Next thing, a flock of bloody sheep came charging down the stairs at me! I nearly got swept off my feet. When I got to the balcony, there was sheep s*** everywhere. They'd probably gone up there to shelter the previous evening and must have been too scared to come back down the stairs in the dark.

A late colleague of mine from Orkney once told the story of someone who came home to their cottage to find a cow in the upstairs bedroom. Apparently, it got in through an open door, and cows can get up stairs, but can't get down them.

Steve H

Large Member
Apologies Colin (&gang), but I am going to have to cry off. I am totally under the thumb and a big girl! Wife is not happy I want to be away all Sunday at Cheshire Cat and all Saturday with my forum mates. This is a real shame as I was really looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Colin - I hope it goes fantastically well. Well enough to inspire you to organise more! Also, if you ever want company on an early short ride around Hebden, give me a shout and I'll pop over.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Apologies Colin (&gang), but I am going to have to cry off. I am totally under the thumb and a big girl! Wife is not happy I want to be away all Sunday at Cheshire Cat and all Saturday with my forum mates. This is a real shame as I was really looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Colin - I hope it goes fantastically well. Well enough to inspire you to organise more! Also, if you ever want company on an early short ride around Hebden, give me a shout and I'll pop over.
Whipped...:smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's a shame Steve, but I can see her point! Er, does she like walking ...? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, but the kids need looking after and ferrying around.
If we do another walk some time, maybe you could sort something out so you could both come along? I'll also check both weekend days on the local calendar for clashes next time!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just had a message to say that Calum is coming up for a visit and he will be going for a walk to a cafe with me. The weekend coming though, not the following one when we we will be doing this forum walk. I'll do a different walk with him.

Have any of you 'maybes' made your minds up about this Stoodley Pike walk yet, or does anybody else fancy joining us? :hello:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Since they haven't sent for me to undergo my sentence in that far-off penal colony yet, we can remove any doubt as to my availability for the great day. I'm going to be there.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's good, Paul. So we currently have:

Stoodley Strollers:
  • ColinJ
  • bromptonfb
  • potsy
  • PaulB + MrsB
  • Cubist? (If not working)
  • trio25? (If not up in the Lakes)
  • Arch and Night Train? (If Arch not at work do & NT up for it)
  • Globalti? (If not too hungover)
  • Steve H (That day has been 'otherwise pre-allocated')

Top Bottom