Forumers' 'actual' ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assuming the interest was there, how logistically possible would it be to arrange a forumers' ride over a weekend next spring/summer/autumn?

A route and overnight accommodation somewhere in central-ish England, such as Birmingham or Manchester (for our northern and foreign chums :?: ).
Meet up on a Friday evening/Sat. morning, cycle an agreed distance (a loop of 100 miles, for example) and back for a cake stop and a half. Then head for home on Sunday.

Anyone interested, or has a similar idea?
:?:

nickwill

We had a few C+ forum rides, usually fairly regionally based. A group of us used to meet up a couple of times a year in North Lancs, and Yorkshire.

I would certainly be game to meet up with some other forumers for the day, depending on location.

gbyers

Audaxes are well established and sportives are growing in popularity all the time.

A forum version of either would be good. The far flung nature of members would be biggest obstacle I suspect.

But I'd give it a go.

I'd be well up for that. I need an objective to train towards and I don't want to be left in everyone's wake panting like a distressed seal. So early next summer should give me enough time to get fitter.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Glad to see some positive replies. :blush:
I know there have been a lot of 'local' rides, but if some of the far-flung forumers (like myself) can get to a rendezvous then it would really be a reflection of the forum.
We could camp, B&B, hotel ot hostel somewhere suitable, in the area of a good ride.
Apathy is the biggest problem, I suspect (guilty of it myself, at times) but this is certainly do-able! :eek:

Big Bren

How about attaching a charity tag to it and generating interest that way? I'd certainly be interested, but I'll bet many more people would if it were for, say, Cancer Research or some similar wide-reaching cause?

I believe the larger charitable organisations can now provide resources to help you raise funds on their behalf, which may be useful.

Bren

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
A good idea, Big Bren, but I am personally CR@P at raisng money or asking frinds and family for it.
If people want to make it a charity event, then that's fine, but I'll be doing it for myself with the sole intention of riding with other forumers. :eek:

redfox

Agree with Dayvo re charity, no objection but my friends and relatives have been tapped up enough over recent years as a result of me cycling.

Big Bren

Well, who you ask is not really an issue for anyone other than you - my suggestion was more about making the ride an 'event' thus increasing interest and participation.

Alternatively, make it a ride to protest at the shabby treatment of C+ forumers by Future Publishing - that should garner some interest! :eek:

Bren

Top Bottom